Find out how to prepare for and take the Commercial Driver License (CDL) knowledge test.
The knowledge test is available in four languages:
Note: language interpreters aren't allowed.
How to prepare
Study the Commercial Driver Guide to prepare for the test. The guide is only available in English and contains all the information you'll need to pass the test. In the first chapter, you will find a table titled "What sections should you study?" This table indicates with an "x" which section(s) you should study before taking the tests.
You may also take the practice test for a sample of the types of questions that will be on the test.
Taking the knowledge test
Make an appointment to take the knowledge test at a driver licensing office location that offers testing. The test fee covers one attempt at each knowledge test taken within 90 days of the receipt. See Getting a CDL for the list of required documents you'll need to bring with you.
You must pass the knowledge test to get a Commercial Learner's Permit (CLP).
You must take the knowledge test:
- Before you can take the skills test.
- Any time you upgrade your CDL by moving to a higher commercial class or adding endorsements that require a skills test.
- Passenger endorsement
- School bus endorsement
- Tank vehicle endorsement (only if testing and or training in tank vehicle)
- Removing an air brake restriction
You're required to take the knowledge test any time you:
Knowledge test scores are valid for:
- 180 days from the date passed.
- Another 180 days, if you renew your CLP within 30 days of your original CLP expiring. Double, triple, and hazardous materials cannot be renewed with CLP and expire 180 days from the date passed.
Penalties for trying to get a CDL fraudulently could include:
- Cancellation of your driver license.
- Having to wait up to 1 year before you can apply again for a CDL.
Types of CDL knowledge tests
|Knowledge test||Total questions||Passing score||Skills test needed|
|CDL general knowledge (A, B, & C)||50||40||Yes|
|CDL combination (A)||20||16||Yes|
*Unless you're taking your skills test or training in a commercial tank vehicle. Then you must take the knowledge test before we can issue your CLP.