Getting a Commercial Driver License (CDL)

If you are over 18 years old and have a valid Washington driver license, you can apply for a CDL.

How to apply for a CDL

  1. Make an appointment at a driver licensing office location that offers knowledge testing.
  2. Prepare the required documents:
    • Current driver license
    • Social Security number
    • Proof of U.S. Citizenship, Lawful Permanent Residency, or non-domicile document. See a list of approved documents for ID purposes.
      • We're required to verify your status under Federal law 49 CFR 383.71 and Washington State law (RCW 46.25.070). This requirement also applies to drivers who already have a CDL
  3. Self-certify the type of operation you will be conducting and provide your valid medical examiner's certificate.
  4. Pass the Knowledge test for the type of vehicle you'll be licensed to operate.
    • You must have a hazmat training course completion on record before taking the hazmat knowledge test.
  5. Get a Commercial Learner's Permit (CLP).
  6. Complete training requirements for the type of CDL you'll be issued.
  7. Call us to schedule and pay for your skills test.
  8. Conduct and pass the skills test.
    • Training course completion must be recorded before a skills test can be taken.
  9. Make an appointment at a driver licensing office to have the CDL issued.
    • Valid skills test and training course completion must be on record prior to CDL issuance. If it isn't, you may be asked to contact the skills tester and/or training provider to have them enter your results.

Need additional help? Here's how to contact us:

call Phone: 360-902-3900
(TTY: Call 711)
Was this information helpful?