Performing rights societies

Performing rights societies, also known as music licensing agencies, are regulated under Chapter 19.370 RCW.

Performing rights societies, also known as music licensing agencies, are regulated under Chapter 19.370 RCW.

To legally operate in Washington State, performing rights societies must:

  • Have a valid Washington business license,
  • Register with the Department of Licensing (DOL), and
  • Annually file with DOL copies of form agreements used by the agency to license music to proprietors (such as restaurant and bar owners) for a fee.

Below is the list of performing rights societies meeting the requirements to operate in Washington State as well as their contact information, music repertoires, and agreement templates.

Broadcast Music, Inc. (BMI)

Pamela Williams
Vice President of Business Affairs
7 World Trade Center
250 Greenwich Street
New York, NY 10007
Phone: 212-220-3032

Daniel Spears
Vice President of Industry Relations, Licensing
14650 Falls Road
Cockeysville, MD 21030
Phone: 410-527-1076

The American Society of Composers, Authors and Publishers (ASCAP)

General Inquiries - New York
1900 Broadway
New York, NY 10023
Phone: 212-621-6000
Fax: 212-621-8453

Licensing Inquiries - Nashville
2 Music Square West
Nashville, TN 37203
Phone: Toll Free 800-505-4052
Fax: 615-691-7795

Membership Inquiries - Los Angeles
7920 W. Sunset Blvd., Third Floor
Los Angeles, CA 90046
Phone: 323-883-1000
Fax: 323-883-1049


Jonathan Farmer
Senior Vice President, Licensing Operations
35 Music Sq East
Nashville, TN 37023
Phone: 615-963-3501

In addition to the registration requirements, music licensing agencies must also meet certain standards of conduct. Among other things, agencies may not engage in coercive conduct that substantially disrupts a proprietor's business, use abusive or profane language when communicating with proprietors or their employees, or engage in unfair or deceptive practices when negotiating with a proprietor. For more information on prohibited acts, visit RCW 19.370.050.

While we maintain a registry of music licensing agencies authorized to operate in this state, we are not charged with ensuring compliance by music licensing agencies with the registration and standards of conduct provisions of RCW 19.370. These regulations are enforced through private civil lawsuits or action by the Office of the Attorney General. If you are interested in filing a consumer protection complaint, please contact the Office of the Attorney General Consumer Protection Division.

Was this information helpful?