Get an ID card

A step-by-step guide on how to apply for your Washington state identification card. You can choose to get a standard ID or an Enhanced ID (EID).

1. Decide if you want an EID card or a standard ID card

You can't use standard ID cards to cross borders. The benefit of having an EID card is that it's an acceptable alternative to a passport for reentry into the U.S. at land and sea border crossings. A standard ID card can't be used for border crossings. Getting an EID card has different requirements. Go to Get your EID if you'd like an EID. If you want a standard ID card, keep reading.

2. Visit a driver licensing office

Make an appointment to visit a licensing office to start your application or to finish the application you started online. At the office you will:

  1. Provide proof of identity.
  2. Pay the driver licensing fee.
  3. Have your photo taken.
    • Before we take your photo, we'll ask you to remove anything that covers your face or head, like a hat or sunglasses.
    • We'll make exceptions for medical and religious reasons.

3. Get your ID card

You'll get your temporary ID before you leave, but it won't be acceptable as an ID because it doesn't include your photo and signature. Keep your temporary ID with you until you receive your permanent ID which should arrive in the mail within 7-10 days. If you haven't received it after 30 days, call us at 360-902-3900 (TTY: call 711)

Need additional help? Here's how to contact us:

call Phone: 360-902-3900
(TTY: Call 711)
Was this information helpful?