ID help for the unhoused

Are you experiencing homelessness and need help getting an ID? These resources will help you get and pay for an ID.

Get an ID

If you are experiencing homelessness, you're eligible for a no-cost ID (one per lifetime) or a reduced-fee ID for $5. Anyone receiving public assistance may be eligible for an ID card at a reduced cost. Find your local Department of Social and Health Services (DSHS) community services office ( They can help you complete a Request for Identicard form that you can bring to a driver licensing office. If you're under 25 years old, you don't need a letter for a $5 ID card.

If you’ve had a Washington ID or license issued before, we can locate your record in our system. You won't need any other documentation. You'll need to visit a driver licensing office. You don't need to make an appointment.

You will need a current mailing address. If you are living outside and connected to a shelter, community organization or church, ask if you can use their mailing address. We'll mail the ID card to you when it’s complete or you can request to pick it up at a driver licensing office.

Prove your identity if you’ve never had a WA ID before

If you don't have one of our approved documents for proof of identity, visit a driver licensing office. Ask to speak to a supervisor about your situation. They'll help you with your options. You don't need to make an appointment.

If you're enrolled in public school, contact your school's homeless education liaison ( If you don't know who this is, any teacher or counselor at your school can direct you to them.

If you're in foster care, ask your caseworker to submit a Washington State Identicard form.

If you're in the Juvenile Rehabilitation (JR) system (DCYF), contact your caseworker.

If you don’t have enough documentation to get an ID card, we can provide an ID review at our driver licensing offices. We'll review the documents presented if they aren't on our list.

Was this information helpful?