Renew driver license

Learn what you need and how much it costs to renew your Washington driver license. 

Other ways to renew your driver license

If you don't want to renew your license online, you have other options.

By mail

Renew by mail if you got a letter from us.

In person

Make an appointment to visit a driver licensing office

You must renew in person at a driver licensing office if you:

  • Are 70+ years old
  • Need to pass the vision screening
  • Need a new photo taken
  • Renewed online on your last expiration

By phone

You may be eligible to renew and pay over the phone if you are under 70 years old and last renewed in person. Phone payments can be made with a credit or debit card at 360-902-3900.

When can I renew my driver license?

You can renew up to:

  • 1 year before your license expires (it usually expires on your birthday), or
  • Up to 8 years after the expiration date

Note: If your license expired less than 60 days before the day you renew it, we won't charge a late fee. However, you could get a ticket or fine from law enforcement.

If your license expired:

For military personnel

Your license remains valid as long as you're on active duty and for 90 days after you're discharged from active duty. You don't need to renew during the term of your military service if you're:

  • A member of the armed forces or National Guard on active duty
  • A reservist called to duty for 180 days or more
  • The spouse or dependent of an active member of the military

Learn about getting a driver license while in the military.

Fees for renewing your driver license

A standard license costs $9 per year to renew. You may renew for 6 ($55) or 8 years ($73). We calculate your driver licensing fees based on:

  • Your endorsements
  • Whether you're upgrading to or renewing an Enhanced Driver License (EDL)
  • Whether you're renewing late
  • Whether you choose the 6- or 8-year renewal option
  • A $1 technology fee, already included in the pricing above

Fee payment options

Pay with your: Online At a licensing office By phone
Cash No Yes No
Make checks payable to "Department of Licensing"
Yes Yes No
Visa – credit/debit Yes* At most offices** Yes
MasterCard – credit/debit Yes* At most offices** Yes
American Express – credit/debit Yes* At most offices** Yes
Discover – credit/debit No At most offices** Yes

*We charge a 3% card payment fee for online transactions. You can also pay with your checking account information online for no added fee.

**We accept credit and debit cards at most of our offices. Our card payments vendor charges a fee. If you pay over the phone with a debit card, your transaction will be run as a credit card, and credit card fees will apply.

  • If using a debit card, the convenience fee adds $2.25
  • If using a credit card, the convenience fee adds:
    • $2.25 if your transaction total is $75 or less
    • 3% of your transaction total if over $75

What if I haven't received my driver license yet?

If you don't get it after 30 days, call us at 360-902-3900 (TTY: call 711).

Or visit your nearest driver licensing office.

Are you a twin or triplet?

When you get your driver license or ID card, we may ask if you're a twin or triplet. Answering this question is voluntary.

We share this information with the Washington State Twin Registry. The Registry will contact you and ask if you'd like to join the Twin Registry. Learn more about the program on the Washington State Twin Registry website.

If you receive a renewal notice or other correspondence for someone who's deceased

You can ignore the notice or send us a copy of the death certificate using the method that works best for you:




Department of Licensing
PO Box 9030
Olympia, WA 98507

The county medical examiner or coroner will issue a death certificate. The Department of Health will notify us, but this can take several months. As soon as we receive the notice, we'll update the deceased person's record. This should stop all future correspondence.

You don't have to return the person's license or ID card. You can keep it as a memento or discard it.

Need additional help? Here's how to contact us:

call Phone: 360-902-3900
(TTY: Call 711)
Was this information helpful?