File a complaint against a licensed professional or business

Learn how to file a complaint against someone we license or report unlicensed activity.

How to file a complaint

You can file online, by email, or by mail. You must include all of the following:

  • Copies of all documents related to your complaint
  • A detailed explanation of your complaint, including:
    • Dates
    • Others who are involved
    • What you've already tried to do to resolve the problem
    • A description of events in the order they occurred

Online complaints

Choose one of the license categories below to file a complaint online. If you can't find the type of license you're looking for, please see the complete list of professional licenses.

Online professions complaints
  • Appraisers and appraisal management companies
  • Architects and architect firms
  • Auctioneers
  • Bail bonds
  • Camping resorts
  • Collection agencies
  • Combative sports (boxing, martial arts, and wrestling)
  • Cosmetology
  • Court reporters
  • Driver training schools and instructors
  • Employment agencies
  • Funerals and cemeteries
  • Geologists
  • Home inspectors
  • Landscape architects
  • Notaries public
  • Private investigators
  • Real estate brokers
  • Security guards
  • Sellers of travel
  • Tattoos, body piercing, and body art
  • Telephone solicitors
  • Timeshares
  • Whitewater river outfitters

File a professions complaint

Online vehicle business complaints
  • Boat and watercraft dealers
  • Limousine services
  • Manufactured home and travel trailer dealers
  • Motorcycle dealers
  • Off-road vehicle dealers
  • Scrap metal businesses (processors, recyclers, and suppliers)
  • Snowmobile dealers
  • Taxis and for-hire vehicles
  • Tow truck operators
  • Vehicle dealers and wholesalers
  • Vehicle manufacturers
  • Vehicle salvage processors
  • Vehicle transporters and wreckers

File a business complaint

Email complaints

  1. Fill out a Business and Professions Complaint form.
  2. Email your form and all supporting documents to

Mail complaints

  1. Fill out a Business and Professions Complaint form.
  2. Mail your form and all supporting documents to:

    Centralized Investigations and Audits Unit
    Department of Licensing
    PO Box 1098
    Olympia, WA 98507-1098

What happens after you file a complaint

1. We'll determine if we have authority

If our laws don't cover your complaint, we'll notify you.

If we have authority over your complaint, we may conduct an investigation. Our investigators will act as an impartial, fact-finding third party.

  • They don't represent you, us, or the service provider.
  • They may contact the person you filed your complaint against to ask for a response and may give them a copy of your complaint.
  • The length of the investigation depends on the current caseload and the complexity of the case.

2. We'll make a decision

If there wasn't a violation, we'll dismiss the case.

If there was a violation, we may recommend disciplinary action.

3. There may be a hearing

The person you filed the complaint against may request a hearing to dispute the decision.

4. We'll contact you

We'll notify you of the outcome of your complaint by email or mail.

What we can do

If a person or company we license violates licensing requirements or operates without a license, we may take disciplinary actions against them, including:

  • Reprimands
  • Fines
  • License suspensions or revocations

What we can't do

We don't have the authority to recover funds, award damages, or make judicial determinations. Please seek legal advice in these situations.

Frequently asked questions

Can I file an anonymous complaint?

All complaints are subject to our public disclosure laws and rules. If you choose to remain anonymous but provide your contact information, our Records and Disclosure team will keep your information confidential. If you don't provide your contact information, we may close the case if we can't contact you for additional information.

How can I find out who filed a complaint against me?

To find out who filed a complaint against you, you must file a public disclosure request.

What supporting documents do I need to file a complaint?

You should include copies of all documents that relate to the complaint, such as:

  • Purchase and sale agreements
  • Contracts
  • Invoices
  • Audit and inspection reports
  • Appraisal reports
  • Communications/correspondence
  • Medical documentation of injuries
  • Photos
  • Odometer statement
  • Screenshots of websites (Note: We can't open website links.)

Some complaints require specific supporting documents:

  • For notary complaints, include a copy of the relevant notarized page.
  • For dealership title transfer complaints, include the title application, purchase agreement/order, and proof of payment.
  • For dealership warranty complaints, include the title application, purchase agreement/order, proof of payment, warranty, and invoices for repairs.

Related information

Need additional help? Here's how to contact us:

Was this information helpful?