CDL approved documents

You must provide proof of citizenship or lawful residency to apply for, renew, or transfer a driver license (CDL) or commercial learner permit (CLP). Learn the requirements and see which documents we accept.

Apply for or renew your commercial driver license or learner permit

You must provide proof of lawful permanent residency, U.S. citizenship, or non-domicile document to apply for or renew your CDL or CLP. If you can't provide these documents, you'll need to surrender your CDL.

If you have a CDL from Mexico and Canada, you can legally drive in this country with the out-of-country CDL.

Current CDL and CLP holders:

You only need to present proof at your next renewal or other change to your record (including name, address, and endorsement changes). These requirements don't apply to making changes to your personal driver license.

You must provide 1 of 8 federally-approved, government-issued documents. Photocopies aren't accepted. Obtaining duplicate documents can take several weeks, so begin the process immediately if you don't currently have at least one in your possession.

Approved documents Photo example
Valid U.S. Passport (book or card) issued by the U.S. Department of State:
US Passport sample photo
Government Issued Birth Certificate
Including Puerto Rico (issued after July 1, 2010), Virgin Islands, Guam, American Samoa, or the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands
Birth Certificate sample photo
Valid Permanent Resident Card
“Green Card” issued by U.S. Citizenship & Immigration Services:
Permanent Resident Card sample photo
Certificate of Naturalization
Replacements available from U.S. Citizenship & Immigration Services:
Certificate of Naturalization sample photo
Certificate of Citizenship
Replacements available from U.S. Citizenship & Immigration Services:
Certificate of Citizenship sample photo
Consular Report of Birth Abroad
Replacements available from the Department of State:
Consular Report of Birth Abroad sample photo

Non-permanent residents can find more information about becoming a permanent legal resident or U.S. citizen by contacting U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services. You can also learn more by visiting the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration website.

What if my name on my documents is different than what's on file?

If your name on an approved document doesn't match what's on record, you'll also need to show proof of your name change. This may consist of one or more of the following documents:

  • Marriage certificate
  • Divorce decree
  • Court order name change
  • Valid U.S. passport that shows the name change
  • A Washington (WA) driver license, ID card, or photo instruction permit on file in the previous name and a WA document in the current name

Non-domicile CDL

If your permanent residence is in a foreign country or in a state that prohibits issuance of CDL/CLP due to residency requirements, you can provide a non-domiciled document instead.

The following documents are acceptable:

Approved documents Photo example
Unexpired Employment Authorization Document (EAD)
Unexpired Employment Authorization Document (EAD)
Unexpired foreign passport with an approved unexpired I-94 form (electronic or hard copy)
Unexpired I-94 form - Electronic
Unexpired I-94 form - Document

We'll issue you a non-domiciled CDL with a matching expiration of your approved documents.

The following video describes these requirements in further detail


Transfer a commercial driver license or add a learner permit

You must provide proof of Washington residency using one document that shows your current Washington residence address and your full name. Any enhanced document satisfies this requirement.

  • If you’re married and show your marriage certificate, you can use documents in your spouse's name
  • If you're 18 to 25 years old, you may use documents in your parent or guardian's name
    • You’ll need to provide proof of relationship (e.g. birth certificate, adoption decree, or court-issued custody decree)
  • If you are 18 years or older and have a court-assigned guardian due to mental or physical limitations, you may use documents in your guardian's name
    • You must show the court decree assigning guardianship
    • Your assigned guardian must be with you and have valid proof of their identity

Acceptable documents:

  • Washington vehicle registration or title (a quick title isn't acceptable)
  • Auto insurance policy, declarations page, or binder
  • Bank or credit card document (e.g. statement, card mailer)
  • Cell phone bill or statement
  • Pay check or pay stub with the employer's name and phone number or address
  • W-2 from an employer or Form 1099
  • Washington professional license (e.g. nursing, physician, engineer, pilot)
  • Certified Washington marriage certificate
  • Home utility or service document for a Washington address (e.g. bill, statement, hook-up order)
  • Proof of home ownership (e.g. mortgage documents, property tax documents, deed, title)
  • Homeowner's or renter's insurance policy
  • Washington voter card
  • Washington school transcript or report card
  • DSHS benefits letter (e.g. medical, food)
  • Tribal ID
  • Consulate ID card or Mexican Federal Electoral card
  • US military document
  • Selective Service Card
  • Concealed weapons permit from a Washington county
  • Moorage document
  • Form DS-2019

You may also be able to use a letter attesting residence in alternate housing. The letter must be on company letterhead with a phone number for verification of the facility. Alternate housing includes:

  • Assisted living
  • College campus
  • Mission
  • Senior housing
  • Shelter
  • Retirement home

More information

Need additional help? Here's how to contact us:

call Phone: 360-902-3900
(TTY: Call 711)
Was this information helpful?