Types of CDLs

Learn what kinds of vehicles you can drive based on your CDL class (A, B, or C).

(Commercial vehicles are divided into 3 size classes: A, B, and C)
CDL class What you can drive
  • A combination vehicle with gross combined weight rating (GCWR) of 26,001 or more pounds, as long as the gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) of the vehicle(s) being towed is over 10,000 pounds. Washington State doesn't recognize class A passenger vehicles.
  • Examples: truck and trailer combos, tractor-trailers and flatbeds, livestock carriers, tankers.
  • Any single vehicle with a GVWR of 26,001 pounds or more.
  • Vehicles towing a trailer with a GVWR of 10,000 pounds or less.
  • Any vehicles listed under Class C if properly endorsed.
  • Examples: delivery service box trucks, school buses, public transportation buses, dump trucks with small trailers.
  • Vehicles carrying 16 or more people including the driver.*
  • Vehicles carrying hazardous materials.*
  • Examples: passenger vans, small trucks towing trailers, small trucks equipped to carry hazmat.

* Requires endorsement

CDL endorsements

You also need a special endorsement if you:

  • Carry passengers
  • Haul hazardous materials
  • Drive double-trailer, triple-trailer (not allowed in Washington), or tank vehicles

Need additional help? Here's how to contact us:

call Phone: 360-902-3900
(TTY: Call 711)
Was this information helpful?