Hazardous materials endorsement (hazmat)

Learn how to add, transfer, or renew a hazardous materials endorsement.

Things to know

To transfer, add, or renew a hazardous materials endorsement (HME) in Washington State, you must:

  • Have completed a valid HME Threat Assessment through the Transportation Security Administration (TSA)
    • You must have a CLP or CDL to complete the assessment.
    • A threat assessment completed for the Transportation Worker Identification Credential doesn't meet this requirement
  • Pass the hazmat knowledge test taken in person at a driver licensing office

Getting your HME

Follow these steps to get a license issued with HME:

1. Apply with TSA

Fees apply, and assessments can take up to 45 days to process.

2. Get fingerprinted

You must get fingerprinted at a TSA Enrollment Center.

  • If you have a temporary CLP or CDL, you'll need to provide additional documents to get your fingerprints.

Visit TSA Required Documents to find out what else you need to bring.

3. Be sure you have the TSA HME clearance on your record.

We can't issue an HME without this clearance. If the TSA HME application is completed with a/an:

  • Washington driver license, the TSA will notify us of the results and we will add it to your driving record
  • Out-of-state license, the TSA will notify the state you were licensed in (we won't be notified)
    • Be sure to let the licensing representative know the hazmat clearance wasn't completed with your Washington license information
    • We will have staff look for the clearance in the TSA portal with the out-of-state license information
    • If the clearance is found, we will add it your Washington driver record while you are in the office
    • If it's not found, you will need to contact TSA.

4. Complete Hazmat training

You must complete a hazmat training course taught by a Washington-approved training provider if adding HME for the first time.

Hazmat training must be on record before you take the knowledge test. It it's not, contact your training provider to have it added.

5. Visit a driver licensing office

Make an appointment to visit a driver licensing office.

  • If necessary, complete the CDL application and knowledge test
  • Pay any required test and license fees

6. Receive your CDL with HME

  • Your license will be set to expire when your HME clearance expires.
  • If we have to adjust your current expiration to expire earlier, we will not refund the difference.
For questions about: Contact:
  • HME Threat Assessment and fees
  • Status of your HME Threat Assessment
  • List of disqualifying offenses
  • Fingerprint locations
  • License number is referenced incorrectly on HME clearance letter
Transportation Security Administration
Call: 855-347-8371
Web: TSA Hazmat Endorsement
  • Whether the current HME clearance date is on your Washington State driving record
  • Requirements for getting an HME on your Washington CDL and how long it will be valid.
Department of Licensing
Call us: 360-902-3900 (TTY: call 711)
  • HME training requirements and fees
A registered school or employer training provider

Need additional help? Here's how to contact us:

call Phone: 360-902-3900
(TTY: Call 711)
Was this information helpful?