Make an appointment to transfer your CDL and find out which documents you'll need to bring.
Before you get started
1. Make an appointment
Schedule a time to visit a driver licensing office.
2. Show required documents
Bring the following documents to your appointment:
- Valid out-of-state or Washington driver license
- Proof of Washington State residency
- Proof of U.S. Citizenship or Lawful Permanent Residency
- Medical Examiners Certificate (MEC)
If you’re required to have a state or federal waiver or skills performance evaluation certificate
You must submit these documents and allow us to process them before your license transfer can occur at a licensing office. You must:
- Submit required medical documents (allow 10 days for processing)
- Visit a licensing service office to transfer your license with CDL
3. Complete self-certification
Declare how you will operate commercially through self-certification.
4. Take required tests (if any)
- Take any required CDL knowledge tests
- See hazardous materials endorsement (HME) for other requirements for HME
5. Pay the fees
View our fee schedule.
6. Verify the document we issue you
Always verify that the document we issue you is correct.