Driving a commercial motor vehicle with a blood alcohol content of 0.04 or more

Operating a commercial motor vehicle with a BAC of 0.04 or more will disqualify your CDL for 1 year. Any additional incidents will disqualify your CDL for life.

How long will my license be disqualified?

  • First incident: 1 year (3 years if the incident occurred while you were transporting hazardous materials)
  • Second incident or more: For life

How do I re-qualify?

  • First incident:
    • If you have not already, you must show proof of U.S. citizenship or lawful permanent residency (see list of approved documents).
    • Pass the Commercial Driver License (CDL) knowledge tests.
    • Obtain a Commercial Learner's Permit.
    • Take a skills (drive) test.
    • Meet CDL training requirements.
      • Training must be completed through a state-approved CDL training school or state-registered employer training provider.
      • Training is acceptable if completed after January 2009 (implementation date of Washington CDL training requirements). If you obtained your CDL prior to January 2009, you will need to meet state and federal Entry-Level Driver Training requirements before a CDL skills test is taken.
    • For a hazardous materials endorsement, you must have on record an eligible Transportation Security Administration hazmat clearance and training. Training is required to be on record before you can take the hazmat knowledge test.
    • Pay the $35 re-qualification fee.
  • Second incident or more: You can't re-qualify from a lifetime disqualification.

Can I appeal the disqualification?

Yes. If your BAC was above 0.08, the hearing will cover both your personal and commercial driver license. If your BAC was below a 0.08, the hearing will only cover your commercial driver license.

Related laws

RCW 46.25.090(1)(b) and (2): Disqualification—Grounds for, period of—Records

Questions? Need help?

Call us: 360-902-3900 (TTY: Call 711)

Was this information helpful?