Commercial Driver License (CDL) disqualifications

Learn what violations will result in a disqualification of your CDL.

When can my CDL be suspended, revoked, or disqualified?

What do I need to do if my CDL is suspended, revoked, canceled, or disqualified?

Notify your employer

You must notify your employer in writing before the end of the business day following the day of the notice. You must include all traffic convictions within 30 days of the conviction including those related to your private automobile as well as a commercial vehicle.

Notify the Department of Licensing

Notify us, in writing, of all out-of-state traffic convictions within 30 days of the conviction.

Complete an Out-of-State Traffic Conviction Report for each conviction and send to:

Citations Unit
Department of Licensing
PO Box 9030
Olympia, Washington 98507-9030

What happens if I have an out-of-state CDL?

If you have a CDL from another state and lose your privilege to drive a commercial vehicle in Washington, you can't get a Washington CDL until you have re-qualified in this state. We'll also notify your home state and they may take action against your driver license.

Can I get a restricted driver license while my CDL is suspended?

You can't get an Occupational/Restricted License (ORL) to drive a commercial motor vehicle. You can still apply for an ORL to operate a non-commercial motor vehicle. For more information, see Restricted driver licenses.

Implied consent—Refusing to test

Having a CDL implies that you consent to any testing required by any state or jurisdiction. (See federal rule 49 CFR 383.72)

It's illegal to operate a commercial vehicle with any alcohol in your system. If any level of alcohol is detected, law enforcement can place a commercial driver out-of-service for 24 hours.

Need additional help? Here's how to contact us:

call Phone: 360-902-3900
(TTY: Call 711)
Was this information helpful?