Identity crimes or fraud

Find out what to do if your driver license or instruction permit is lost, stolen, or used for identity fraud.

What to do if you're a victim

If you lose your driver license or instruction permit or it gets stolen, get a replacement license or permit right away. You can also replace your driver license while out of state.

Note: We don't place alerts on your record unless we detect fraudulent activity.

If someone uses your name and birth date to get a driver license

  1. File a report with your law enforcement agency
  2. Contact our Driver and Vehicle Investigations Unit (DVI) (see below). They'll help with next steps on replacing your driver license or ID card

If someone gets a traffic ticket using your identity

  1. File a report with the law enforcement agency that issued the ticket
  2. Contact the appropriate court and request an identification hearing to contest the ticket
  3. Contact our DVI Unit:
    • Request that we add an indicator to your record which may prevent further fraud
    • Provide a copy of the police report or incident report. It must state the name of the law enforcement agency and details of the fraudulent activity
    • Provide a copy of the court document showing the reason for the dismissed ticket. For example: wrong person cited, identity theft victim


For legal questions about identity theft, contact the Crime Victims Advocacy Network.

You can also report ID theft to the Federal Trade Commission.

Need additional help? Here's how to contact us:

call Phone: 360-902-3915
mail Email:
location_on Address:
Department of Licensing
Driver and Vehicle Investigations Unit PO Box 9029
Olympia , WA 98507-9029
Was this information helpful?