Find out what to do if your driver license or instruction permit is lost, stolen, or used for identity fraud.
What to do if you're a victim
Note: We don't place alerts on your record unless we detect fraudulent activity.
If someone uses your name and birth date to get a driver license
- File a report with your law enforcement agency
- Contact our Driver and Vehicle Investigations Unit (DVI) (see below). They'll help with next steps on replacing your driver license or ID card
If someone gets a traffic ticket using your identity
- File a report with the law enforcement agency that issued the ticket
- Contact the appropriate court and request an identification hearing to contest the ticket
- Contact our DVI Unit:
- Request that we add an indicator to your record which may prevent further fraud
- Provide a copy of the police report or incident report. It must state the name of the law enforcement agency and details of the fraudulent activity
- Provide a copy of the court document showing the reason for the dismissed ticket. For example: wrong person cited, identity theft victim
For legal questions about identity theft, contact the Crime Victims Advocacy Network.
You can also report ID theft to the Federal Trade Commission.