Before you get started
If your enhanced driver license (EDL) is lost or stolen, you can get a replacement online or at any driver licensing office. If your enhanced driver license will expire within 3 months, please renew it instead of getting a replacement.
You can replace your EDL online if:
- You had a valid, unexpired EDL.
- You haven't replaced or renewed your EDL online within the past 12 months.
- We have your Social Security number and current address on file.
- You're at least 18 years old. If you're under 18 years old, you and your custodial parent or legal guardian must go to a driver licensing office to get a replacement.
You can't replace your EDL online if:
- You have a commercial driver license (CDL).
- You moved out of Washington State.
- You changed your name from what is printed on your EDL.
- Your driving record shows you had a dishonored check, unpaid traffic fines, unpaid reissuance fee, suspension, revocation, or cancellation.
When you complete the online application:
- You can print a receipt for your records.
- After we approve your application, we'll mail an exact copy of the lost or stolen EDL to the residence address we have on file for you. You should get your replacement EDL within 10 days. If you don't get your replacement within 30 days, call us at 360-902-4071.
What if I haven't received my driver license yet?
Replace your EDL while out of state
Due to security requirements, we can't mail an EDL to an out-of-state address. However, if you won't be back in Washington State within 30 days, you may get a standard driver license to replace your EDL. The replacement license:
- Won't include your photograph.
- Will be labeled "valid without photo" and "not valid for identification."
- Expires on the same date as the EDL you're replacing.
- Includes your motorcycle endorsement, if applicable.
Your license must be in good standing (not suspended, revoked, surrendered, or canceled), and you'll be required to surrender your EDL.
Request a standard driver license to replace a lost or stolen EDL
- Complete a Notice of Surrender form for the lost or stolen EDL.
- Complete a Driver License Renewal/Replacement Request While Out-of-State.
- Mail the completed forms with a check or money order payable to "Department of Licensing" for the driver licensing fees to:
Driver Records - Record Updates
Department of Licensing
PO Box 9048
Olympia, WA 98507-9048