Commercial Driver License (CDL) military experience waiver

How do I qualify?

You qualify for a military experience waiver if you:

  • Are a Washington resident,
  • Have 2+ years' experience driving commercial vehicles as part of their military job, and
  • Meet all requirements on the Application for Military Skills Test Waiver.

and are:

  • Currently active, or
  • within 12 months of an honorable discharge

How to apply

  1. Complete the application below that applies to you. Take it to your Commanding Officer to finish and sign.
  2. Submit the following to for approval:
    • The completed waiver application signed by your commanding officer.
    • Copy of your DD214, NGB22, or equivalent document with your:
      • Discharge date or current active status.
      • 2 years military driving experience from your Motor Vehicle Operator’s ID Card. It must list the type of equipment you drove:
        • Air Force - 2293
        • Army - 348
        • Army/National Guard - 5984-E
        • Marines - 7540-00-634-3999
      • You can use your current military ID to provide active status, but not for driving experience.
      • You'll receive a follow-up email letting you know if we approved or denied your waiver.
  3. Make an appointment to visit a driver licensing office location. Bring the following:
  4. Pay fees to have CDL issued.

Application assistance

If you need assistance getting a Medical Examiner's Certificate or Commercial Driver Fitness Determination, contact the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration at 360-753-9875.

For help with DD214 or NGB22 forms, contact the Department of Veterans Affairs at 360-753-9875.

Need additional help? Here's how to contact us:

call Phone: 360-902-3900
(TTY: Call 711)
Was this information helpful?