Salvaged vehicles

Learn how to report a salvaged vehicle and options for salvaged vehicles.

How to report a salvaged vehicle

If your vehicle is destroyed or declared a total loss, you or your insurance company must report that the vehicle has been declared salvaged and surrender the title to us.

  • The registered or legal owner must surrender the title within 15 days of the vehicle's destruction.
  • The insurance company must surrender the title within 15 days of settlement of the claim.

To report a salvage vehicle and surrender the title to us, write "Destroyed" and the date the vehicle was salvaged across the face of the title and mail it to us at:

Department of Licensing
PO Box 9038
Olympia, WA 98501

For more details about reporting a salvage vehicle, see RCW 46.12.600

Options for salvaged vehicle owners

If your vehicle is declared a total loss, you may:

  • Sell the vehicle to a new owner (include the Notice of Cancellation letter and a notarized bill of sale).
  • Keep the vehicle and repair it.
  • Keep the vehicle without repairing it.
  • Use the vehicle for parts.

To learn more about each of these options, see Destroyed Vehicle Information.

Frequently asked questions

Can a vehicle that is declared salvage still be legally driven?

No. The vehicle can't legally be driven or parked on public highways or roads until a new title has been issued.

Will I receive a rebuilt brand on the car if I salvage it?

If we reissue a title on the car, it may be branded as "WA REBUILT" if it:

  • Is 5 years old or newer.
  • or
  • Meets the "market value threshold" criteria:
    • It's 6-20 years old.
    • It's a passenger vehicle, light-duty truck, or sport utility vehicle (SUV).
    • and
    • It had a retail value of $10,430 or more before being destroyed, damaged, wrecked, or declared a total loss.

What do I need for a Release of Interest?

Before we can remove the legal owner of an owner-retained vehicle you need to provide:

  • A notarized Release of Interest/Power of Attorney
  • One of the following:
    • Notarized statement
    • Receipt from the legal owner that the debt is satisfied
    • Canceled check stating the debt was paid in full

Need additional help? Here's how to contact us:

call Phone: 360-902-3900
(TTY: Call 711)
Was this information helpful?