Calculate vehicle tab fees

Calculate your tab renewal fees and learn about what fees we charge.

Get an estimate

If your Washington vehicle tabs or boat decals expire within 6 months:

Note: We will continue to collect all current vehicle fees and taxes. Learn more from our I-976 (commonly known as the $30 tab initiative) Fact Sheet.

Common vehicle fees

Fee Amount Fee goes to
Filing fee $4.50 – registration
$5.50 – for the title only
$10 – title with registration
See Vehicle registration filing fees - Distribution

RCW 46.17.005
License and registration (based on use class)
  • $30 – License Tab fee
  • All-terrain vehicles (ATV) use class:
    • $30 – on and off-road
    • $18 – off–road only
  • $30 - Mopeds
  • $18 - Off-road vehicles (ORV) use class
  • $50 - Snowmobiles (SNO) less than 30 years old
  • $12 - Snowmobiles (SNO) 30 years old and older
  • $15 - Trailers (TLR) less than 2,000 lbs scale
  • $4.90 - camper, original
  • $3.50 - camper, renewal
  • WA State Ferries, WA State Patrol, and Motor Vehicle Fund
  • ORV funds distributed per RCWs
  • SNO funds go to the Snowmobile acct, distributed per RCWs
  • TLR WA State Patrol, Puget Sound Ferry Operations, Transportation 2003 account, Transportation partnership account, and Motor Vehicle Fund
RCW 46.17.350
RCW 46.16A.405
RCW 46.09.530
RCW 46.09.520
RCW 46.68.350
RCW 46.16A.440
RCW 46.16A.405
Service fees $8 - registration
$15 - for title transactions
$23 - title with registration
Collected by DOL, county auditors, and other agents
RCW 46.17.040
Tab renewals Calculate your vehicle tab fees
Use a License eXpress account
Varies depending on the vehicle, plate, and location

Plate fees

Fee Amount Fee goes to
Plate reflection $2 per plate Motor Vehicle Fund
RCW 46.16A.200
RCW 46.17.200
Plate transfer $10 Motor Vehicle Fund
RCW 46.17.200
Plates - Issue an original license plate $50 per plate
$20 motorcycles
Motor Vehicle Fund
RCW 46.17.200
RCW 47.66.070
Plates - Personalized license plates Varies depending on plate options Varies depending on plate options
Plates - Replace license plates $30 for vehicles (including trucks)
$27.25 for motorcycles
Multimodal Transportation Account and Motor Vehicle Fund
RCW 46.17.200
RCW 47.66.070
Plates - Special design license plates Varies depending on the plate design Varies depending on the plate design
Plates - Veteran's emblem packets $15 DOL and the Department of Veterans Affairs
RCW 46.18.295

Other possible fees

Fee Amount Fee goes to
Abandoned RV disposal fee $6 Abandoned Recreational Vehicle Disposal Account
RCW 46.17.380
Additional Vehicle/Truck Weight Fee A $10 additional weight fee will be applied to the following vehicles with registration:
  • All vehicles subject to motor vehicle weight fees including passenger vehicles
  • Trucks with a declared gross weight of 12,000 lbs. or less
Freight Mobility Investment Account and Multimodal Transportation Account
RCW 46.17.350
RCW 46.17.355
RCW 46.17.365
RCW 46.68.035
Arbitration fee - collected by dealers on new vehicle sales $3 Motor Vehicle Arbitration Account
RCW 19.118.110
Aquatic weed $3 on boat trailers Freshwater Aquatic Weeds Account
RCW 46.17.305
Boats Calculate your boat registration fees
Use your License eXpress account
RCW 88.02.640
Class - Change vehicle class $1 Motor Vehicle Fund
RCW 46.17.310
Commercial vehicle safety enforcement $16 WA State Patrol
RCW 46.17.315
RCW 46.32.080
Discover Pass $30 WA State Parks – Discover Pass (
RCW 79A.80
Electric car fee $100
  • 70% for Motor Vehicle Fund
  • 15% for Transportation improvement account
  • 15% for Rural arterial trust account
RCW 46.17.323
Electric car fee $50 First $1 million to Multimodal Transportation Account, then 100% to Motor Vehicle Fund
RCW 46.17.323
Electric motorcycle fee $30 Motor Vehicle Fund
RCW 46.17.323
Emergency Medical Services Fee varies Emergency Medical Services and Trauma Care System Trust Account
RCW 46.17.110
RCW 46.68.440
Gross weight Fee varies - see RCW 46.17.355 for details Motor Vehicle Fund
RCW 46.16A.455
RCW 46.17.355
RCW 46.68.035
Gross weight - monthly permit Fee varies Motor Vehicle Fund
RCW 46.16A.455
RCW 46.17.360
RCW 46.68.070
RCW 47.30.030
HAM operator $5 Motor Vehicle Fund
RCW 46.17.220
WAC 308–96A–070
License service $0.75
  • $0.50 to DOL Services Account
  • $0.25 to License Plate Technology Account
RCW 46.01.140
RCW 46.17.015
RCW 46.68.370
RCW 46.17.025
Liquid Propane Gas Fee varies Motor Vehicle Fund
RCW 82.36.025
Liquid Propane Gas Handling $5 Motor Vehicle Fund
RCW 82.38.075
Mobile Home Affairs $15 General Fund - Cities and towns
RCW 59.22.080
Mobile Home Park $100 Mobile Home Park Relocation Fund
RCW 59.21.055
Mobile home title elimination $25 Motor Vehicle Fund
RCW 65.20.090
WAC 308.56A.505(5)(d)
Out-of-state service fee (used to check if the vehicle coming to WA is stolen) $15 - Pay the outstanding balance Motor Vehicle Fund
RCW 46.17.120
RCW 46.68.020
Parks donation for WA parks $5 you can donate another amount or opt-out of donating State parks renewal and stewardship account
RCW 46.16A.090
Regional Transit Authority (RTA)
(may be tax deductible, check with your tax advisor)
Fee varies - Estimate your RTA excise tax County High Capacity Transportation Services
RCW 81.104.160
Registration, vehicle - To get a duplicate $1.25 plus filing and service fees $14.50 Motor Vehicle Fund
RCW 46.16A.190
RCW 46.17.320
RV Sanitary Disposal $3 Recreational Vehicle Account
RCW 46.17.375
Sales/Use Tax Fee based on location General Fund
RCW 82.08
RCW 82.12
Tabs - Replace lost tabs $13.75 for a passenger vehicle or trailer
$13 for trucks
Motor Vehicle Fund
RCW 46.17.230
Title - Application for a certificate of title $15 Multimodal Transportation Account
RCW 46.17.100
Title - Quick title $50 plus titling and service fees RCW 46.17.160
RCW 46.68.025
Title - Replace lost title $35.50 per vehicle or trailer
$26.75 for boats
RCW 46.17.005
RCW 46.17.040
RCW 88.02.640
Title transfer late fee $50 on the 16th day,
$2 per day after the 16th day, up to $125.
Multimodal Transportation Account
RCW 46.12.650
RCW 46.17.140
Transportation benefit district Fee varies
May show as "TBD" during renewal
WA State Treasurer for distribution to each district
RCW 36.73.065
RCW 82.80.140
Transportation electrification fee $75 Electric Vehicle Account
RCW 46.17.324
Trip permit - Special fuel $30
  • State Highway Patrol Account
  • Motor Vehicle Fund
RCW 46.68.460
RCW 46.17.400
Trip permit - Vehicle $25
  • State Highway Patrol Account
  • County monthly expense fund
  • Motor Vehicle Fund
RCW 46.16A.320
RCW 46.17.400
VIN Assignment $5 Motor Vehicle Fund
RCW 46.17.135
Violations - Unpaid violations $15
  • $10 for Motor Vehicle Fund
  • $5 for office renewal processing
RCW 46.16A.120
RCW 46.17.030
RCW 46.63.160
RCW 46.63.170
RCW 46.63.180
WAC 308–96A–355
WA State Patrol vehicle ID number (VIN) inspection $65 Motor Vehicle Fund
RCW 46.17.120
WATV metal tag - replace the tag $2 Motor Vehicle Fund
RCW 46.17.200

All WAC and RCW links go to

Fee payment options

Pay with your: For online services For licensing office
Cash No Yes
Make checks payable to "Department of Licensing"
Yes Yes
Visa – credit/debit Yes* Yes – at most offices**
MasterCard – credit/debit Yes* Yes – at most offices**
American Express – credit/debit Yes* Yes – at most offices**
Discover – credit/debit No Yes – at most offices**

*We charge a 3% card payment fee for online transactions. You can also pay with your checking account information online for no added fee.

**We accept credit and debit cards at some of our offices. Our card payments vendor charges a fee.

  • If using a debit card, the convenience fee adds $2.25
  • If using a credit card, the convenience fee adds
    • $2.25 if your transaction total is $75 or less
    • 3% of your transaction total if over $75

Deducting fees from federal taxes

You may be able to deduct Regional Transit Authority (RTA) Motor Vehicle Excise Tax and Watercraft Excise Tax from your federal taxes. Check with your tax advisor.

Need additional help? Here's how to contact us:

call Phone: 360-902-3770
(TTY: Call 711)
Was this information helpful?