Customs inspections

Learn what documents you need if you want to import a vehicle or boat from another country.

Gather the required documents

You must have U.S. Customs or Department of Defense documents, which must:

  • Include the year, make, and Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) or Hull Identification Number (HIN, if it is a boat).
  • Be from U.S. Customs, not from a brokerage or foreign customs office.
  • Be signed and stamped by Customs.

Military personnel

If you licensed a vehicle or boat in a foreign country while you were on active duty, submit the Manufacturer's Statement of Origin (MSO) or Manufacturer's Certificate of Origin (MCO) when you license it in Washington.

Need additional help? Here's how to contact us:

call Phone: 360-902-3900
(TTY: Call 711)
Was this information helpful?