Trip permits for unlicensed vehicles

Learn what vehicles qualify for a trip permit and how to purchase one.

What is a trip permit?

They allow you to operate your unlicensed vehicles on public highways. A vehicle is considered unlicensed if:

  • The vehicle tabs are expired.
  • or
  • The current gross weight isn't enough for the load being carried.

The cost is $33/per permit.

Vehicles that qualify

You can get a trip permit for:

  • Any 1 vehicle — up to 3 permits issued in any 30-day period.
  • Any 1 recreational vehicle (RV) — up to 2 permits issued in a 1-year period. Recreational vehicles include motor homes, travel trailers, camp trailers, and campers.

You can't get a trip permit for a:

  • Non-highway and off-road vehicles, including snowmobiles and ORV use class vehicles. The permits are only for vehicles on public highways.
  • Commercial motor vehicles placed out of service (DOT out of service).
  • Destroyed vehicles.

How to purchase a trip permit

Visit any vehicle licensing office:

  • Bring cash or check payable to the Department of Licensing. Costs $33/per permit.
  • No exchanges, refunds, or credits are given once they've been purchased.

How to use a trip permit

Each trip permit is valid for 3 consecutive days, beginning with the first day of use.

  • You must complete, sign, and date the trip permit before you operate the vehicle.
  • Any correction or alteration of data on the permit invalidates it.

Related information

Was this information helpful?