Replace your license plates

Learn how to replace standard, personalized, or prorated IRP license plates.

Verify your address first

Before you can replace your plates, you must verify your residence street address or business address with us. To verify your address:


Enter your address (even if it hasn't changed):

In person

Visit your local vehicle licensing office and verify your address when you replace your plates.

How to replace your plates

Once replaced, your current plates are canceled immediately, and our records will note your plates have been replaced. You will not be able to use the same license plate number again if you report your plates stolen.

Standard plates

To replace standard license plates, visit a vehicle licensing office and bring all of the following with you:

  • A notarized Affidavit of Loss/Release of Interest form, or a notarized letter addressed to the Department of Licensing, saying that your vehicle license plates have been lost, stolen, or destroyed
  • Photo identification
  • Cash or check for the fee:
    • Vehicles: $77.25
    • Trucks: $77.25
    • Motorhomes: $83.25
    • Motorcycle: $27.25
    • Trailers: $45.25

Personalized or special design plates

To replace personalized or special design plates, visit a vehicle licensing office and bring all of the following with you:

IRP (prorate) plates

To learn how to replace your International Registration Plan (IRP) plates, see replace your cab cards, decals, or plates.

Update your Good To Go! account, if needed

If you have a Good To Go! electronic tolling pass, be sure to update the contact information on your account with the Department of Transportation. Update your Good To Go! account online, or call 866-936-8246.

Need additional help? Here's how to contact us:

call Phone: 360-902-3900
(TTY: Call 711)
Was this information helpful?