Amateur Radio Operator (HAM)


Starting January 1, 2023, vehicle registrations allow the removal of your address. New registrations have your address located on the bottom. There's a dotted line showing where to cut it. This is optional and intended to provide address privacy in case of theft.

Amateur radio operator (HAM) license plate


  1. What you need to do to qualify.
  2. Find out the initial cost for plates.
  3. Submit your proof, payment and application.
  4. Update your Good-to-Go! account, if needed.
  5. Renew your tabs and registration yearly.

1. What you need to do to qualify

You must be a WA state vehicle owner and have a current Federal Communications Commission (FCC) license. You're only allowed 1 set of plates for 1 vehicle registered in your name.

2. Find out the initial cost for plates

Note: These plates are not available for trailers.

Next available number plate fees
Vehicle type Fee
Passenger $122.25
Truck $122.25
Motorcycle $35.25

Save money. If your tabs expire in 6 months or less, save money by getting your new plates and tabs at the same time.

You can't renew your tabs on a vehicle with HAM operator plates if the FCC license is due to expire 90 days before or 90 days after the tab renewal date. Bring an updated/current copy of your FCC license to a vehicle licensing office when renewing tabs on your HAM operator plates.

3. Submit your proof and payment with the application

Contact a vehicle licensing office to get the total cost of your plates.

Fill out the Specialty License Plate Application, include your payment, a copy of your FCC license, and a copy of your vehicle registration.

  • Mail it to:
    Special Plate Unit
    Department of Licensing
    PO Box 9909
    Olympia, WA 98507-8500

4. Update your Good To Go! account, if needed

If you have a Good To Go! electronic tolling pass, be sure to update the contact information on your account with the Department of Transportation:

5. Renew your tabs and registration yearly

You'll need to pay the renewal fees to renew your tabs and registration every year, even if you're not using the vehicle.


Contact us