Learn when and how to file a report of sale for a boat.
Before you get started
- Sold privately
- Given as a gift to another person
- Traded (either privately or to a dealership)
- Donated to charity
- Turned over to an insurance company
- Disposed of
Why should I file a report of sale?
Filing a report of sale will protect you from civil and criminal liability. The buyer will still need to transfer ownership into their name.
How to file the report of sale
There is no fee to report the sale of a boat.
You can report the sale of a boat online or by mail.
1. Gather the required information
When you file the report, make sure you have:
- Date of the sale or transfer
- Name and address of the person to whom the boat was sold or transferred
- The vessel registration and certificate number
- The hull identification number (HIN)
- The make, model, and year
2. Complete the Vessel Report of Sale form
To file by mail, complete the Vessel Report of Sale.
If you are filing online, you do not need to complete this form.
3. Submit your paperwork
Submit all the necessary documentation and the Vessel Report of Sale form to:
Department of Licensing
PO Box 9038
Olympia, WA 98507