Learn the requirements for inspecting modified off-road motorcycles.
Who can inspect modified off-road motorcycles?
To perform safety inspections on modified off-road motorcycles, you must be a:
- Licensed motorcycle dealer, or
- Motorcycle repair shop
If you aren't licensed, you can:
- Apply for a miscellaneous vehicle dealer license
- Apply for a business license from the Department of Revenue
How to perform a safety inspection
When you inspect a modified off-road motorcycle to see if it's legal for road use, you must follow the steps below.
- Check the vehicle identification number (VIN).
- Inspect all the legally required equipment, including:
- Head lamp, tail lamp, and stop lamp
- Turn signals
- Windshield (if necessary)
- Complete Part 1 of the Off-Road Motorcycle Highway Use Declaration form and sign it. By signing the form, you're agreeing that the equipment meets state and federal requirements.
- Give the signed form to the motorcycle owner.
The law doesn't say how to perform the inspection. It's your responsibility to ensure that the motorcycle meets all requirements.
- You can't charge more than $100 per inspection (RCW 46.16A.435).
- The customer must pay you the fee.
- You must attach a receipt to the Motorcycle Highway Use Declaration form showing the amount you charged.
Laws and rules about inspections
State laws and rules
- Off-road motorcycle (RCW 46.04.363)
- Operating violations — Exceptions (RCW 46.09.470)
- Registration and display of plates required — Penalties —Expired registration, impoundment (RCW 46.16A.030)
- Off-road motorcycles — Declaration required — Contents (RCW 46.16A.435)
- Stop lamps and electric turn signals displayed (RCW 46.37.200)
- Motorcycles and motor-driven cycles — When head lamps and tail lamps to be lighted (RCW 46.37.522)
- Motorcycles and motor-driven cycles — Head lamps (RCW 46.37.523)
- Motor-driven cycles — Head lamps (RCW 46.37.524)
- Motorcycles and motor-driven cycles — Tail lamps, reflectors, and stop lamps (RCW 46.37.525)
- Motorcycles and motor-driven cycles — Brake requirements (RCW 46.37.527)
- Motorcycles and motor-driven cycles — Performance ability of brakes (RCW 46.37.528)
- Motor-driven cycles — Braking system inspection (RCW 46.37.529)
- Motorcycles, motor-driven cycles, mopeds, electric-assisted bicycles — Helmets, other equipment — Children — Rules (RCW 46.37.530)
- Tires — Restrictions (RCW 46.37.420)
- Tires — Unsafe — State patrol's authority — Penalty (RCW 46.37.425)
- Off-road motorcycles (RCW 46.61.705)
- Certificates of title and registration (WAC 308-94A-004)
All RCW links go to app.leg.wa.gov.
Explanation of abbreviations
- RCW—Revised Code of Washington (Washington laws)
- WAC—Washington Administrative Code (Washington agency regulations)