Inspecting modified off-road motorcycles: Vehicle dealers

Learn the requirements for inspecting modified off-road motorcycles.

Who can inspect modified off-road motorcycles?

To perform safety inspections on modified off-road motorcycles, you must be a:

  • Licensed motorcycle dealer, or
  • Motorcycle repair shop

If you aren't licensed, you can:

How to perform a safety inspection

When you inspect a modified off-road motorcycle to see if it's legal for road use, you must follow the steps below.

  1. Check the vehicle identification number (VIN).
  2. Inspect all the legally required equipment, including:
    • Head lamp, tail lamp, and stop lamp
    • Reflectors
    • Brakes
    • Mirrors
    • Horn
    • Tires
    • Turn signals
    • Fenders
    • Windshield (if necessary)
  3. Complete Part 1 of the Off-Road Motorcycle Highway Use Declaration form and sign it. By signing the form, you're agreeing that the equipment meets state and federal requirements.
  4. Give the signed form to the motorcycle owner.

The law doesn't say how to perform the inspection. It's your responsibility to ensure that the motorcycle meets all requirements.

Inspection fees

  • You can't charge more than $100 per inspection (RCW 46.16A.435).
  • The customer must pay you the fee.
  • You must attach a receipt to the Motorcycle Highway Use Declaration form showing the amount you charged.

Laws and rules about inspections

Federal laws

State laws and rules

All RCW links go to

Explanation of abbreviations

  • RCW—Revised Code of Washington (Washington laws)
  • WAC—Washington Administrative Code (Washington agency regulations)

Need additional help? Here's how to contact us:

call Phone: 360-705-6741
(TTY: Call 711)
fax Fax: 360-705-6699
mail Email:
Was this information helpful?