Get your license: Reduction operators

Learn the requirements and how to apply for a reduction operator license.

Who needs a license?

You must be licensed as a reduction operator to perform one or more of the following:

  • Alkaline hydrolysis
  • Cremation
  • Natural organic reduction

How to apply

Follow these steps to apply for a reduction operator license.

1. Follow your local requirements

You must comply with all city or county zoning, health, and ecology laws and rules.

2. Get trained as an operator

Take reduction operator training and include a certificate of completion with your license application. Your certificate is good for 5 years before you must recertify.

3. Submit your application

You must pay the reduction operator licensing fee when you apply.

Submit your application by mail

Complete a Reduction Operator Application form.

Mail your forms with a check or money order for the license fee (payable to the Department of Licensing) to:

Funeral and Cemetery Board
Department of Licensing
PO Box 3777
Seattle, WA 98124-3777

Please allow 5 days, not including mailing time, to process your application.

For veterans, military personnel, and partners

Your military experience or training might help you meet licensing requirements. You may also be able to get a temporary license if you're moving here with a current license from another state. Learn more about using your military training to meet professional license requirements.

If you're a U.S. veteran, you may be eligible for partial reimbursement of your fees. Learn more about getting reimbursed for fees.

Need additional help? Here's how to contact us:

call Phone: 360-664-1555
(TTY: Call 711)
mail Email:
Was this information helpful?