Get your license: Manufactured home and travel trailer sub-agencies

Learn how to get a sub-agency license for your manufactured home or travel trailer dealership.

You must follow all applicable laws and rules, even if they're not covered below.

Who needs a license?

After you get a manufactured home or travel trailer dealer license, you must apply for a sub-agency license for:

  • Each additional business location (other than your first licensed location)
  • Each name you do business under (other than your company's "doing business as"/DBA name)
  • Each website address (URL) that is not a derivative of your DBA name and which you use to advertise manufactured homes or travel trailers for sale (including URL redirect addresses)

How to apply

Follow these steps to apply for your manufactured home and travel trailer sub-agency license.

Note: We issue this license, but the Department of Revenue's Business Licensing Service (BLS) processes it. BLS prints it on the business license they provide. They refer to licenses we issue as endorsements to the business license.

1. Meet the business site requirements

Your business site must meet the following requirements.

Laws and rules

Follow all applicable building codes, zoning laws, and other land-use ordinances. For more information, contact your city or county.

Building specifications

Your business must be located on a commercial property with an enclosed building.

Place a permanent exterior sign on the land or building with the business name and the type of business (such as auto sales).

Phone system

Have an operating phone number listed in directory assistance. You may choose to use and list a mobile number.

Business hours

Be open 10 a.m. to 4 p.m., 5 days a week. You may choose to be open for longer hours and/or on additional days.


Have an area for books, records, and files. If you share a location with another vehicle dealer business, your records, office facilities, and inventory must be physically separated and clearly identified.

2. Complete the required documents

Application forms

Complete these documents to apply for your business license:

$30,000 bond

Use the Vehicle, Vessel Dealer Business Bond or a form from the bonding company.

You can get a bond through an insurance company. On the bond form, the principal name must be exactly the same as both the business owner and business firm name. Both you and the bonding company's attorney-in-fact must sign the form.

3. Review the checklist

Use our Dealer Checklist to make sure you're ready to apply.

4. Submit your application

You must pay the manufactured home and travel trailer sub-agency license and plate fees when you apply. Choose the method that works best for you.

Apply for your license online

You'll receive your license faster by applying and paying online.

Apply online at the Department of Revenue's website.

Apply for your license by mail

Mail your forms and a check or money order for the license and plate fees (payable to the Department of Revenue) to:

State of Washington
Business Licensing Service
PO Box 9034
Olympia, WA 98507-9034

After you get your license

You may not do business until you have your license. Once you receive it, you must:

Temporary sub-agency permits

If you need a short-term permit for a car show or other event, complete a Dealer Temporary Sub-Agency License Application form. 

Mail your form with a check or money order for the temporary sub-agency fee (payable to the Department of Licensing) to:

Dealer/Manufacturer Services
Department of Licensing
PO Box 35001
Seattle, WA 98124-3401

Related information

Need additional help? Here's how to contact us:

call Phone: 360-705-6741
(TTY: Call 711)
fax Fax: 360-705-6699
mail Email:
Was this information helpful?