Certificate of Removal Registration

Learn who needs a certificate of removal registration and the requirements for all funeral establishments contiguous to Washington State.

Who needs a license?

Funeral establishments licensed in states that border Washington State, with similar laws, may apply for this registration for the limited purpose of removing human remains from Washington State prior to submitting a Certificate of Death

The conduct of funeral directors, embalmers or any other person employed by or acting on behalf of a removal registrant is the direct responsibility of the holder of the Certificate of Removal Registration.

The Funeral and Cemetery Board may impose sanctions on the holder of a Certificate of Removal Registration if the registrant is found to be in violation of any death care statute or rule.

Expiration date

All funeral establishment licenses expire on January 31 each year. You must renew your license annually. Note: licenses are not transferable.

Certificates of Death, Notices of Removal, and Disposition Permits are governed by the Department of Health under RCW 70.58.160 and 70.58.230.

How to apply

Follow the steps below to apply for a Certificate of Removal Registration.

1. Meet the requirements

To get a Certificate of Removal Registration you must:

  • Be a licensed funeral establishment contiguous to Washington State.
  • Each branch of a registrant's funeral establishment is a separate establishment and must be registered as a fixed place of business.

2. Submit your application

You must pay the licensing fee when you submit your application. Choose a method that works best for you.

Submit your application online

You'll receive your license faster by applying and paying online.

Log into SecureAccess Washington (SAW)

Don't have a SAW account? Learn how to create a SAW account.

Submit your application by mail

Submit all of the following:

  • Complete and sign the Certificate of Removal Registration Application
  • Include your UBI number on the application
  • Be sure to include the names and addresses of the sole proprietor, partners, or corporate officers
  • Provide a check or money order for the application fee (payable to the Department of Licensing).

Related forms

Need additional help? Here's how to contact us:

call Phone: 360-664-1555
(TTY: Call 711)
mail Email: funerals@dol.wa.gov
Was this information helpful?