Register as a CDL training provider or instructor

Learn the requirements for serving as a CDL training provider or instructor and how to register.

What you'll need to be a training provider

A training provider must offer courses that meet the state and/or federal requirements. Courses are approved if they meet a minimum number of hours in classroom instruction, street driving, backing maneuvers, proficiency development, and more.

You must renew your authorization every 2 years.

What you'll need to register as a training provider instructor

You must meet the requirements detailed in WAC 308-100-005 including CDL class and years of experience to provide behind-the-wheel or theory instruction.

How to apply

There is no fee to apply to be a CDL training provider or instructor.

  1. Create or log in to a SAW account
  2. Add the Professional Business and Licensing Service to your list of services
  3. Enroll in multi-factor authentication (MFA)
  4. Select "Apply for Professional License" or "Link Existing Professional License" and follow the prompts

Step-by-step instructions for applying


Things to know

Allow us up to 3 weeks to process an initial application or renewal. If you do not hear back from us within 3 weeks, please email us at

Existing training providers (schools, employers, and instructors)

Did you register as a training provider (school, employer, or instructor) before June 29, 2020? We may already have your information.

Existing entities don't need to apply for a new registration. You'll need your prior authorization number (begins with "EM," "PU," or "PR" and an authorization code. Request a code from the PBLS following the instructions in the Create Your User Access to the Professional and Business Licensing System User Guide. You can also email to request the code. Provide the name of the entity you’re trying to link to and the authorization number you have.

Renewing your CDL training instructor or provider authorization

You must renew your authorization through SAW.

Step-by-step instructions for renewing

Help with accessing our online service

Video instructions

Need additional help? Here's how to contact us:

call Phone: 360-902-3900
(TTY: Call 711)
mail Email:
Was this information helpful?