Registering nonemergency high-occupancy vehicles

Learn what the requirements are and how to apply for an HOV exempt decal if you operate a nonemergency medical transportation vehicle.

The owner of a for-hire nonemergency medical transportation vehicle may apply for a high occupancy vehicle (HOV) exempt decal which allows the vehicle to use an HOV lane from July 1, 2023 - June 30, 2025.

Description of a nonemergency HOV

A for-hire nonemergency medical transportation vehicle is a vehicle that has a use class “for-hire”. That vehicle must provide nonemergency medical transportation, including life-sustaining needs of:

Individuals traveling to medical practices and clinics

  • Cancer centers
  • Dialysis facilities
  • Hospitals
  • Other care providers

HOV exempt decal requirements

The owner of a for-hire nonemergency medical transportation vehicle or the owner’s representative may apply for an exemption decal on a Nonemergency HOV Exemption Decal Application form. The application must include:

  • The name and address of person who is the owner of the vehicle.
  • Full description of the vehicle including make, model, year, and VIN.
  • The main purpose for which the vehicle is used.
  • An attestation that the vehicle’s owner has a minimum of one contract or service agreement to provide for-hire transportation services for medical purposes with one or more of the following entities:
    • Health insurance company
    • Hospital
    • Clinic
    • Dialysis center
    • Other medical institution
    • Daycare center
    • Retirement home
    • Group home
    • Federal, state, or local agency or jurisdiction
    • A broker who negotiates for these services on behalf of one or more of these entities

Nonemergency HOV fees

Fee Amount
Service fee $8
Filing fee $4.50
License service fee $0.50
License plate technology fee $0.25
HOV-exempt decal fee $5
Total fees $18.25 per vehicle

Contact a vehicle licensing office to find out the total fees if you're conducting an additional transaction for the vehicle.

Submit your application and payment

Submit your payment and completed Nonemergency HOV Exemption Decal Application form by:

  • Bringing your documents to a vehicle licensing office or
  • Mailing your documents to:
    Special Plate Unit
    Department of Licensing
    PO Box 9909
    Olympia, WA 98507-5800

Related laws

Need additional help? Here's how to contact us:

call Phone: 360-902-3770
(TTY: Call 711)
Was this information helpful?