Commercial vehicle temporary permits

Learn how to get trip and fuel permits for commercial vehicles, and information on cost and length.

Get a trip permit

A Washington vehicle trip permit authorizes you to operate a single commercial vehicle at the maximum weight limit for 3 consecutive days. You cannot use more than 3 permits for any one vehicle within a 30-day period.

Trip permits cost $25 each, and can be purchased at:

Learn about restrictions on permit issuance.

Get a fuel permit

You must purchase a special permit when entering Washington if you don't pay fuel tax under the International Fuel Tax Agreement (IFTA), and plan to operate a diesel or propane-powered commercial vehicle that has:

  • Two axles and gross vehicle weight (GVW) of over 26,000 pounds.
  • Three or more axles regardless of weight.
  • A combination of vehicles with a combined GVW of over 26,000 pounds.

Fuel permits are good for 3 consecutive days, and cost $33 each. You can buy them at:

Get an oversize or overweight permit

You can purchase Oversize or Overweight Permits online through the Department of Transportation's Electronic System Network for Oversize and Overweight Information (eSNOOPI) or through an independent third party.

Need additional help? Here's how to contact us:

call Phone: 360-902-3900
(TTY: Call 711)
Was this information helpful?