Get your license and decals: IFTA

Learn how to get your IFTA license and decals and how to change your address.

Access fuel tax online services

The Taxpayer Access Point (TAP) online system is an easier and faster way to manage your fuel tax accounts. Register your account through TAP.

What is the IFTA?

The International Fuel Tax Agreement (IFTA) is an agreement among states and Canadian provinces (except Alaska, Hawaii, Yukon, and Northwest Territories) that standardizes the reporting of fuel use taxes by motor carriers operating in more than 1 member state or province. Our Motor Carrier Services Unit manages this license in Washington.

For more information about IFTA, current tax rate schedules, jurisdiction rates for each state and province, manuals, off-road miles, updates, and requirements, visit the IFTA website.

License requirements

To qualify for an IFTA license, you must:

  • Be based in Washington with a physical address located in Washington
  • Operate qualified vehicles in 2 or more states or provinces and meet at least 1 of the following requirements:
    • Commercial vehicles over 26,000 pounds gross vehicle weight (GVW); or
    • Vehicles with 3 or more axles regardless of weight; or
    • Combination vehicles over 26,000 pounds GVW (does not include recreational vehicles)
  • Have an active Unified Business Identifier (UBI) number registered with the Office of the Secretary of State unless you're a sole proprietor
  • Register with the Department of Revenue (DOR) for a UBI number if you're a sole proprietor, corporation, or LLC
  • Register for a United States Department of Transportation (USDOT) number with the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMSCA)
  • Complete an IFTA Application for a license and an IFTA Decal Application including payment for the decals

Review the IFTA membership packet for additional information. Once you're a member, visit the IFTA tax returns and IFTA recordkeeping requirements pages for more details about your role.

How to apply for a license

There are 3 ways to apply and pay for a license:

Decal requirements

  • You must apply for decals each year to order a set of 2 decals for each qualified vehicle ($10 per set).
  • Each qualified vehicle must have 1 decal affixed to each side of the vehicle.
  • Decals are valid from January 1 to December 31 each year. Review current requirements and restrictions on the IFTA website.
  • Existing account holders will receive a renewal decal application during the fourth quarter. You must file for the third quarter before purchasing next year's decals.
  • You can display decals for the following year starting on November 1 of the current year.

How to get decals

There are 3 ways to apply and pay for decals:


Description Fee
Washington IFTA license (issued with each paid set of decals) No fee
IFTA decals $10 per set of 2 decals

Mailing addresses

With a TAP account, you may complete documents and make payments online. If you're applying for a license or decals by mail, use the following addresses:

Mail with payments

Department of Licensing
Prorate and Fuel Tax Services
PO Box 9048
Olympia, WA 98507-9048

Mail without payments

Department of Licensing
Prorate and Fuel Tax Services
PO Box 9228
Olympia, WA 98507-9228

How to change your address

To update your IFTA account or service bureau address, log in to TAP or mail a completed IFTA Change of Address form with the required attachments.

Related information

Need additional help? Here's how to contact us:

call Phone: 360-664-1858
(TTY: Call 711)
Was this information helpful?