Intermittent-use trailer plates

Get information for trailer and plate requirements, fees, and how to submit your payment and application for intermittent-use trailer plates.


  1. Trailer and plate requirements
  2. Find out the fees
  3. Submit your payment and application
  4. Using restored Washington (WA) license plates
  5. Update your Good-to-Go! account, if you have one

1. Trailer and plate requirements


  • Must be registered in WA
  • Have a standard license plate, or
    • A restored plate that was issued by us the year the intermittent-use trailer was manufactured
  • Must be in good working order
  • Have a scale weight of 2,000 pounds or less
  • You can use them for:
    • Club activities, exhibitions, tours, and parades
    • Occasional pleasure use
  • You can't:
    • Rent them to the public - personal use only
    • Use them for commercial or business purposes


  • They can only be used on the trailer they were purchased for
  • Install the plates on the rear of the trailer

2. Find out the fees

  • Standard plates initial fee: $20.75
  • Restored plates initial fee: $43.75
  • Plus registration fee: $187.50
  • Plus other applicable fees

Contact a vehicle licensing office to find out the total fees.

3. Submit your payment and application

Mail your payment and Specialty License Plate Application to:

Special Plate Unit
Department of Licensing
PO Box 9043
Olympia, WA 98507-8500

4. Using restored Washington (WA) license plates

  • You can use restored WA plates instead of Collector Vehicle plates.
  • The restored plate must be from the same year that the vehicle/trailer was manufactured.
  • The plates must be restored to their original design. You can’t use reproductions.
  • For more information, see restored plates.

5. Update your Good To Go! account, if needed

If you have a Good To Go! electronic tolling pass, be sure to update the contact information on your account with the Department of Transportation:

Need additional help? Here's how to contact us:

call Phone: 360-902-3770
(TTY: Call 711)
Was this information helpful?