Read about current laws and proposed rules for licensed vehicle manufacturers.
Clean car emission requirements
Required emission standards
Starting with 2009 models, new and used passenger cars, light-duty trucks, and medium-duty passenger vehicles must meet California emission standards. Vehicles must be certified to at least one of the following emission standards to be registered, leased, rented, licensed, or sold for use in Washington:
- California emission standards (California Air Resources Board certified)
- Sale in all 50 states (50-state certified)
- Sale in the Northeast
Vehicles that are "federally certified" or "certified to meet EPA standards" aren't certified to California emission standards and don't meet Washington requirements.
Washington law requires automakers to submit 2 Non-methane Organic Gas (NMOG) Fleet Average Compliance Reports to the Department of Ecology by March 1 each year.
Automakers that aren't in compliance with the fleet average requirement must also submit a Fleet Average Enforcement Report.
Warranties for zero-emission vehicles
Washington doesn't require automakers to offer additional extended warranties for sales of zero-emission vehicles like California. However, the Department of Ecology encourages automakers to offer and honor those extended warranties voluntarily as a service to their customers.
View current or proposed rule changes that may affect you.
Title 308 WAC: Department of Licensing
Public hearing or comments
Public hearing held January 7, 2020
- Public hearing audio*
(mp3 format: 2 minutes)
Request information in an alternative format
*To request this information in an alternative format, please email RulesCoordinator@dol.wa.gov.
View current laws and rules
- Dealers and manufacturers (Chapter 46.70 RCW)
- Motor vehicle dealers and manufacturers (Chapter 308-66 WAC)
- Fleet average nonmethane organic gas (NMOG) exhaust emission requirements, reporting, and compliance (WAC 173-423-080)
- Registration — Emission control inspections required — Exemptions — Educational information — Rules (RCW 46.16A.060)
- Requirement to meet California vehicle emission standards (WAC 173-423-050)
Explanation of abbreviations
- RCW—Revised Code of Washington (Washington State laws)
- WAC—Washington Administrative Code (Washington State agency regulations)