Get your license: Vehicle manufacturers

Learn how to apply for a license to manufacture vehicles in Washington.

You must follow all applicable laws and rules, even if they're not covered below.

Who needs a license?

You need a vehicle manufacturer license if you:

  • Manufacture or assemble new vehicles
  • Remanufacture used vehicles for Washington dealerships to resell
  • Are a vehicle factory branch, representative, or distributor

How to apply

Follow the steps below to apply for a vehicle manufacturer license.

Note: We issue this license, but the Department of Revenue's Business Licensing Service (BLS) processes it. BLS prints it on the business license they provide. They refer to licenses we issue as endorsements to the business license.

1. Complete the required documents

Fill out these forms to apply for a business license:

2. See if you need a bond

Depending on what you manufacture, you may need a bond for licensing. See below for details.

Businesses that need bonds

If you produce manufactured homes or travel trailers, you must agree to pay a bond. Complete a Vehicle, Vessel, Vehicle Manufacturer, Registered Tow Truck Operator, or Wrecker Business Bond or a form from the bonding company for the appropriate amount:

  • $40,000 if you make only manufactured homes
  • $20,000 if you make only travel trailers, including 5th-wheel trailers

You can get a bond through an insurance company. On the bond form, the principal name must be exactly the same as both the business owner and business firm name. Both you and the bonding company's attorney-in-fact must sign the form.

Businesses that don't need bonds

You don't need a bond if you produce only other types of vehicles (for example, cars, trucks, or motorcycles).

3. Submit your application

You must pay the vehicle manufacturer license and plate fees when you apply. Choose the method that works best for you.

Apply for your license online

You'll receive your license faster by applying and paying online.

Apply online at the Department of Revenue's website.

Apply for your license by mail

Mail your forms and a check or money order for the license and plate fees (payable to the Department of Revenue) to:

State of Washington
Business Licensing Service
PO Box 9034
Olympia, WA 98507-9034

Need additional help? Here's how to contact us:

call Phone: 360-705-6741
(TTY: Call 711)
fax Fax: 360-705-6699
mail Email:
Was this information helpful?