Get your license: Scrap metal processors

Learn how to get your license to buy, receive, and process scrap metal.

Who needs a license?

You must have a scrap metal processor license if you:

  • Buy or receive non-vehicle scrap metal, and
  • Have a shredder or a hydraulic baler and shears to process scrap metal at a fixed location

This license doesn't allow you to handle scrap metal from titled or registered vehicles. You must instead apply for a motor vehicle salvage processor license to process scrap metal from vehicles.

How to apply

Follow the steps below to apply for a scrap metal processor license.

1. Get approved by your local authority

You must complete a Scrap Metal License Addendum and have your local authority approve and sign it.

Request vehicle plates

You can also use the addendum to request vehicle plates for your scrap metal business. Any vehicle you use for business must have a plate.

2. Gather the required forms

In addition to your license addendum, you must include these forms with your application:

3. Submit your application

You must pay the scrap metal processor license and plate fees when you apply. Choose the method that works best for you.

Apply for your license online

You'll receive your license faster by applying and paying online.

Apply online at the Department of Revenue's website.

Apply for your license by mail

Mail your approved license addendum, completed forms, and a check or money order for the license and plate fees (payable to the Department of Revenue) to:

State of Washington
Business Licensing Service
PO Box 9034
Olympia, WA 98507-9034

Licenses for multiple locations

If you have more than one business location, you must submit a separate application for each of them.

When your license expires

License expiration

Your license expires after 1 year. Your scrap metal processor license will expire the same day as your business license. We may change your license fees so the expiration date on your license matches those on your other business licenses.

Vehicle plate expiration

Your vehicle plates expire the same day as your business license.

Related information

Need additional help? Here's how to contact us:

call Phone: 360-705-6741
(TTY: Call 711)
fax Fax: 360-705-6699
mail Email:
Was this information helpful?