Get your license: Registered tow truck operators (RTTO)

Learn the requirements and how to get your registered tow truck operator business license.

You must follow all applicable laws and rules, even if they're not covered below.

Who needs a license?

You must be licensed to:

  • Transport, impound, or store unauthorized vehicles
  • Dispose of abandoned vehicles

Before you apply

Before applying for your license, you must get zoning approval for your business and an inspection of your business site.

Fill out the certification and approval form

Download or print the Vehicle Transport/Disposal Addendum.

Complete section A of the Vehicle Transport/Disposal Certification and Approval form.

Get zoning approval

Have your local zoning authority complete and sign section B of the Vehicle Transport/Disposal Certification and Approval form.

Schedule an inspection

Before you apply for a license, a law enforcement officer must inspect your business site.

Schedule an inspection with the Washington State Patrol and submit the inspection report with your application.

How to apply

After you get zoning approval and your inspection is complete, follow the steps below to apply for a registered tow truck operator license.

Note: We issue this license, but the Department of Revenue's Business Licensing Service (BLS) processes it. BLS prints it on the business license they provide. They refer to licenses we issue as endorsements to the business license.

1. Complete the required documents

Application forms

Complete these forms to apply for your business license:

$5,000 bond

Use the Vehicle, Vessel, Vehicle Manufacturer, Registered Tow Truck Operator, or Wrecker Business Bond or a form from the bonding company.

You can get a bond through an insurance company. On the bond form, the principal name must be exactly the same as both the business owner and business firm name. Both you and the bonding company's attorney-in-fact must sign the form.

Proof of insurance

You must show proof that your business has:

  • $100,000 liability insurance for bodily injury or property damage
  • $50,000 garage keepers insurance

2. Review the checklist

Use the Registered Tow Truck Operator Checklist to make sure you have everything ready for your application.

3. Submit your application

You must pay the registered tow truck operator license and permit fees to the Department of Revenue when you apply. Choose the method that works best for you.

Apply for your license online

You'll receive your license faster by applying and paying online.

Apply online at the Department of Revenue's website.

Apply for your license by mail

Mail your forms and a check or money order for the license and permit fees (payable to the Department of Revenue) to:

State of Washington
Business Licensing Service
PO Box 9034
Olympia, WA 98507-9034

After you get your license

Once you have your license, you must:

Need additional help? Here's how to contact us:

call Phone: 360-705-6741
(TTY: Call 711)
fax Fax: 360-705-6699
mail Email:
Was this information helpful?