Get your license: Reduction facilities

Learn the requirements and how to apply for a reduction facility license.

Who needs a license?

You must be licensed to operate a reduction facility that performs one or more of the following:

  • Alkaline hydrolysis
  • Cremation
  • Natural organic reduction

How to apply

Follow these steps to apply for a reduction facility license.

1. Follow your local requirements

Your facility must comply with all city or county zoning, health, and ecology laws and rules.

2. Submit your application

You must pay the reduction facility licensing fee when you apply. Crematories may apply for licenses online or by mail. Alkaline hydrolysis and natural organic reduction facilities must apply by mail.

Apply for your license online (crematories only)

You'll receive your license faster by applying and paying online. 

Log into SecureAccess Washington (SAW)

Don't have a SAW account? Learn how to create a SAW account.

Apply for your license by mail

Complete a Reduction Facility: Alkaline Hydrolysis/Crematory/Natural Organic Application form.

Mail your application with a check or money order for the license fee (payable to the Department of Licensing) to:

Funeral and Cemetery Board
Department of Licensing
PO Box 3777
Seattle, WA 98124-3777
Please allow 5 days, not including mailing time, to process your application.

Need additional help? Here's how to contact us:

call Phone: 360-664-1555
(TTY: Call 711)
mail Email:
Was this information helpful?