Get your endorsement: Real estate designated brokers

Learn the requirements and how to apply for a real estate designated broker endorsement.

Who needs an endorsement?

Any managing broker who has been selected as a firm's designated broker.

How to apply

1. Meet the requirements

To qualify for a designated broker's endorsement, you must have:

  • A Washington State real estate managing broker license
  • A controlling interest in each firm where you're a designated broker

License status required to become a designated broker

See the table below to find out what your license status must be before becoming a designated broker.

If you are... License status

An existing designated broker with at least 1 other firm

  • Your license must be active

Not an existing designated broker or branch manager with the firm

  • You cannot be associated with any firm or any branch
  • Your license must be inactive

An existing branch manager for the firm who will continue to be a branch manager

  • Your license can be active

An existing branch manager for the firm who will no longer be a branch manager

  • You must first be replaced by another branch manager
  • Your license must be inactive

2. Submit your application online

Follow the steps below depending on what you want to do.   

Replace an existing designated broker 

  • Only the existing designated broker of the firm can invite you to replace them. 

    • Your managing broker license must be in the correct status before starting the process online. Directions are on the resources and publications page. 

    • You'll receive an email and can log in to accept the invitation within 7 days. 

  • When you accept the invitation, the outgoing designated broker’s license will become inactive and their endorsement will be cancelled unless they're a designated broker for another firm.

  • If the replaced managing broker will stay with the firm, the new designated broker or anyone with administrative rights can reinvite them to the firm online.

Become a designated broker for a new firm

Apply for your endorsement online

You'll receive your endorsement faster by applying online.

Log into SecureAccess Washington (SAW)

Don't have a SAW account? Learn how to create a SAW account.

3. Submit your application by mail

Mail a completed Real Estate Endorsement Application form to:

Real Estate Licensing
Department of Licensing
PO Box 3856
Seattle, WA 98124-3856

Allow at least 21 days for processing. If you're replacing a designated broker, we'll cancel the outgoing managing broker's relationship with the firm unless you include a letter requesting otherwise.

Endorsement rules

  • Your endorsement will renew when you renew your managing broker license.
  • The endorsement is canceled automatically when you are no longer a designated broker for any firm. 
  • If you're resigning as designated broker, you must either close the firm or be replaced by another designated broker. Firms cannot be active without a designated broker. 

Get email updates

Subscribe to our mailing list to get the latest rule changes and licensing updates by email.

For veterans, military personnel, and partners

Your military experience or training might help you meet licensing requirements. You may also be able to get a temporary license if you're moving here with a current license from another state. Learn more about using your military training to meet professional license requirements.

If you're a U.S. veteran, you may be eligible for partial reimbursement of your fees. Learn more about getting reimbursed for fees.

Need additional help? Here's how to contact us:

call Phone: 360-664-6488
(TTY: Call 711)
mail Email:
Was this information helpful?