Learn the requirements and how to apply for a real estate broker license.
Who needs a license?
Anyone who acts on behalf of a real estate firm to perform real estate brokerage services under the supervision of a managing broker.
How to apply
Follow the steps below to get your real estate broker's license.
1. Meet the requirements
To qualify for a license, you must:
- Be at least 18 years old.
- Have a high school diploma or equivalent.
- Complete 90 hours of approved real estate education including a 60-hour course in Real Estate Fundamentals and a 30-hour course in Real Estate Practices. Visit the Course Search for a list of approved real estate education.
- Complete your education within 2 years before applying for the broker's exam.
- Pass the broker's state and national exams.
2. Register as a student
Register as a student with PSI Testing Excellence, our testing vendor, after starting but before completing your education. Your school must electronically submit your course completions to PSI to complete your registration.
3. Take your exams
- You must pass both the state and national exams within 6 months of each other or you'll have to retake both exams.
- Don't apply for a license before you receive notification from us that we've received your exam results.
- You must apply for your license within 1 year of passing the exams.
4. Submit your fingerprints
Submit your fingerprints for state and national background checks.
Schedule an appointment through Idemia, our electronic fingerprinting vendor. You'll pay a fee for the fingerprinting service and background checks required for your license type.
See Fingerprinting and background checks for steps for sending your fingerprints from out-of-state.
5. Submit your application
Follow all of these steps:
Gather required documents
Have documents ready to upload for the legal background questions, if needed.
Submit your application online
You'll receive your license faster by applying and paying online.
Don't have a SAW account? Learn how to create a SAW account.
Submit your application by mail
Department of Licensing
PO Box 3856
Seattle, WA 98124-3856
If you don’t see the “Apply for License” button in the “Your To-dos” section, we haven’t received your exam results yet.
If you see a reminder to submit fingerprints and you already did, then we haven’t received the results yet. It can take 14 business days for us to receive the results from Washington State Patrol.
If it’s been more than 14 business days since you submitted your fingerprints and more than 4 business days since you passed your exam(s) and the "Your To-Dos" is still missing, email us for assistance. In your email, be sure to include the TCN number issued by IdentoGo and the date you submitted your fingerprints.
Get email updates
Subscribe to our mailing list to get the latest rule changes and licensing updates by email.