Get your license: Professional martial arts participant in combative sports

Apply for a professional martial arts participant license online or by mail.

Who needs a license?

Anyone who is paid to compete in professional martial arts events.

Martial arts is a type of full-contact boxing without weapons. Participants use kicks, punches, blows, or other techniques to defeat an opponent or win by decision, knockout, technical knockout, or submission; not to injure or disable them.

Martial arts includes:

  • Sumo
  • Judo
  • Karate
  • Kung fu
  • Taekwondo
  • Pankration
  • Muay Thai
  • Other forms of full-contact martial arts or self-defense.

How to apply

Make sure you meet the requirements, and follow the steps below to apply for a professional martial arts participant license.

1. Meet the requirements

You must be at least 18 years old to be licensed.

2. Complete all the necessary forms

Complete a Combative Sports Participant License Application/Renewal.

Have a medical doctor (MD), osteopath (DO), or naturopath (ND) complete and sign a Physical Examination for Referees and Professional Boxing, Martial Arts, and Wrestling Participants.

3. Submit your application

Submit your application online

Get your license faster by applying online!

Log into SecureAccess Washington (SAW)

Don't have a SAW account? Learn how to create a SAW account.

Submit your application by mail

Mail your forms and a check or money order for the license fee (payable to the Department of Licensing) to:

Combative Sports Program
Department of Licensing
PO Box 35001
Seattle, WA 98124-3401

For veterans, military personnel, and partners

Your military experience or training might help you meet licensing requirements. You may also be able to get a temporary license if you're moving here with a current license from another state. Learn more about using your military training to meet professional license requirements.

If you're a U.S. veteran, you may be eligible for partial reimbursement of your fees. Learn more about getting reimbursed for fees.

Need additional help? Here's how to contact us:

call Phone: 360-664-6644
(TTY: Call 711)
Was this information helpful?