Get your license: Private investigator certified trainer

Learn the requirements and how to get a license to be a private investigator trainer.

Who needs a license?

Anyone who provides pre-assignment training for unarmed private investigators.

How to apply

1. Meet the requirements

To be private investigator certified trainer, you must:

  • Be licensed as a private investigator agency principal, unarmed private investigator, or armed private investigator.
  • Have 3 years of compensated investigative experience.
  • Pass an examination given by the Department of Licensing.

2. Submit your application

You can apply online or by mail.

Submit your application online

You'll receive your license faster by applying and paying online.

Log into SecureAccess Washington (SAW)

Don't have a SAW account? Learn how to create a SAW account.

Submit your application by mail

Mail your completed Private Investigation Agency Principal/Certified Trainer Exam/Reexam Application form and a check or money order for the examination fee (payable to the Department of Licensing) to:

Public Protection Services
Department of Licensing
PO Box 35001
Seattle, WA 98124-3401

Get email updates

Subscribe to our mailing list to get the latest rule changes and licensing updates by email.

For veterans, military personnel, and partners

Your military experience or training might help you meet licensing requirements. You may also be able to get a temporary license if you're moving here with a current license from another state. Learn more about using your military training to meet professional license requirements.

If you're a U.S. veteran, you may be eligible for partial reimbursement of your fees. Learn more about getting reimbursed for fees.

Need additional help? Here's how to contact us:

call Phone: 360-664-6611
(TTY: Call 711)
mail Email:
Was this information helpful?