Get your license: Notaries public

Learn the requirements and how to apply for a notary public license.

Who needs a license?

You must be licensed to witness and verify the identities of individuals during document signing.

How to apply

Follow the steps below to get your notary public license.

1. Meet the requirements

To get a notary public license, you must be:

  • At least 18 years old
  • Able to read and write English
  • A citizen or permanent legal resident of the United States
  • Live in Washington or have a place of employment or practice in Washington

2. Gather the necessary documents

3. Submit your application

You can apply online or by mail.

Apply for your license online

You'll receive your license faster by applying and paying online.

Log into SecureAccess Washington (SAW)

Don't have a SAW account? Learn how to create a SAW account.

Apply for your license by mail

Mail a completed Notary Public Commission Application, a copy of your signed surety bond (don't send the Errors and Omissions policy), and a check or money order (payable to the Department of Licensing) for the application fee to:

Notary Public Program
Department of Licensing
PO Box 3777
Seattle, WA 98124-3777

How to apply for an electronic notary endorsement

You can add an electronic notary endorsement when you apply for a new commission or when you renew your current commission.

To add an electronic notary endorsement any other time:

Add an electronic endorsement online

Log into SecureAccess Washington (SAW) or create an account to add an endorsement online.

Add an electronic endorsement by mail

Mail a completed Notary Public Electronic Notarization Endorsement Application, the name of your electronic notary software, and a check or money order (payable to the Department of Licensing) for the endorsement fee to:

Notary Public Program
Department of Licensing
PO Box 3777
Seattle, WA 98124-3777

After you receive your electronic notary endorsement

  • You must give us the name of the software you'll be using within 30 days of receiving the endorsement.
  • You can't notarize electronic records until we've received the name of your software.

How to apply for remote notary endorsement

If you already have an electronic records notary endorsement, you can apply to perform remote notary endorsement. Email us at to request this endorsement and include the name of your remote notarization software in the email. You can also send your request by mail to:

Notary Public Program
Department of Licensing
PO Box 3917
Seattle, WA 98124-3917

Wait until we've issued approval before remotely notarizing signatures.

After you receive your commission

1. Get your stamp or seal

You can order a stamp from your bonding company or any stamp provider such as an office supply store.

By law, the vendor must see a copy of your notary license before making your stamp or seal. If they don't ask, they're not a reputable vendor and you should go to another vendor.

Your notary stamp must meet Washington legal requirements for content and size:

2. Keep a journal of all notarizations

You must keep a physical journal of all your notarizations. You may also keep an electronic journal for your own records, but it can't replace the physical book.

The journal must be:

  • A permanent, bound book with numbered pages
  • Kept in a locked and secured area under your exclusive control
  • Kept for 10 years after the last notarization recorded in the journal

Journal entries must be made at the time of the notarization and include:

  • The date and time of the notarization
  • A description of the document or act being notarized
  • The full name, address, and signature of each person requesting the notarization
  • A brief description of the identification method

If you resign your commission, or if you're suspended or revoked, you must tell us where the journal is located.

3. Stay current

Get email updates

Subscribe to our mailing list to get the latest rule changes and licensing updates by email.

For veterans, military personnel, and partners

Your military experience or training might help you meet licensing requirements. You may also be able to get a temporary license if you're moving here with a current license from another state. Learn more about using your military training to meet professional license requirements.

If you're a U.S. veteran, you may be eligible for partial reimbursement of your fees. Learn more about getting reimbursed for fees.

Need additional help? Here's how to contact us:

call Phone: 360-664-1550
(TTY: Call 711)
mail Email:
Was this information helpful?