Get your license: Motor vehicle wrecker branch

Learn how to get a branch license for your motor vehicle wrecker business.

You must follow all applicable laws and rules, even if they're not covered below.

Who needs a license?

Each additional wrecker business location in the same county as your main location must be licensed. You must submit a separate application for each branch site.

Before you apply

Before applying for your license, you must get zoning approval for your business and an inspection of your business site. 

Learn about zoning requirements

Read about zoning requirements using these links from the Department of Ecology:

Fill out the branch site addendum

Complete sections A and C of the Vehicle Transport/Disposal Branch Site Addendum.

Get zoning approval

Have your local zoning authority complete and sign section D of the Vehicle Transport/Disposal Branch Site Addendum.

Schedule an inspection

Before you apply for a license, a law enforcement officer must inspect your business site.

The inspector must complete and sign section D of the Vehicle Transport/Disposal Branch Site Addendum.

How to apply

After you get zoning approval and your inspection is complete, follow the steps below to apply for a motor vehicle wrecker branch license.

Note: We issue this license, but the Department of Revenue's Business Licensing Service (BLS) processes it. BLS prints it on the business license they provide. They refer to licenses we issue as endorsements to the business license.

1. Complete the required documents

Complete these forms to apply for your business license:

2. Review the checklist

Use our Salvage Processor/Motor Vehicle Wrecker Checklist and Salvage Processor/Motor Vehicle Wrecker Flow Chart to make sure you have everything ready for your application.

3. Submit your application

You must pay the motor vehicle wrecker branch license and plate fees to the Department of Revenue when you apply. Choose the method that works best for you.

Apply for your license online

You'll receive your license faster by applying and paying online.

Apply online at the Department of Revenue's website.

Apply for your license by mail

Mail your forms and a check or money order for the license and plate fees (payable to the Department of Revenue) to:

State of Washington
Business Licensing Service
PO Box 9034
Olympia, WA 98507-9034

After you get your license

Once you have your license, you must:

Need additional help? Here's how to contact us:

call Phone: 360-705-6741
(TTY: Call 711)
fax Fax: 360-705-6699
mail Email:
Was this information helpful?