Learn more about the required exams and training to get your home inspector license.
Education, training, and exam requirements
You must complete the following education and training, and pass the appropriate home inspector exam before you can get a license.
|Level of experience||Education and training required||Exam required|
who haven't actively performed home inspections.
who have been licensed as a home inspector in good standing for at least 2 of the last 4 years in a state with licensing requirements that meet or exceed Washington's per WAC 308-408A-040
|Education and training that meets or exceeds Washington's requirements. You will be required to provide proof you have completed your training.||State portion of the exam|
How to apply for the exam
- Complete a Home Inspector Examination Application. Be sure to include proof you completed 120 hours of classroom instruction of board-approved courses and 40 hours of field training with a licensed/experienced home inspector.
- Enclose your completed application with all the required supporting documents.
- Mail to:
Home Inspector Program
Business and Professions Division
Department of Licensing
PO Box 9021
Olympia, WA 98507-9021
After you submit your application
We'll evaluate your application and supporting documents and send you an exam approval letter telling you that your application is complete. We will either provide the information to schedule your exam with the testing vendor or ask for additional information so we can process your application.
Schedule your exam
If you're approved to take the exam, schedule your exam with our testing vendor, Applied Measurement Professionals, Inc. (AMP):
- Visit the AMP website.
- Choose the "Real Estate" category.
- Select the "Washington Home Inspector Program."
- Choose the exam you want.
Prepare for your exam
Prepare for the exam by reviewing the Home Inspector Examination Candidate Handbook.
Take your exam
- Bring your exam approval letter and payment for the exam fees when you go to the testing site.
- You must show the approval letter you received from us before you will be allowed to take the exam.
- You'll receive your exam results (Pass/Fail Report) as you leave the testing center.