Frequently asked questions: Court reporters

Get answers to frequently asked questions about court reporter certificates.

Licensing questions

Are temporary certificates issued in Washington State?


I'm licensed in another state. Do I need to have a Washington State court reporter license to work in the state of Washington?

Yes. Chapter 18.145.010 RCW states “no person may represent himself or herself as a court reporter without first obtaining a certificate as required by this chapter."

I have a court reporter certificate from the National Court Reporters Association. Can I get a court reporter certificate in Washington State without taking the state court reporter exam?

If your certificate is current, we can issue you a Washington certificate.

Notary public

Do I have to be a notary public to become a court reporter?

No, it's not a requirement. However, to notarize a document you must have a notary license. See Notaries Public for more information.

Transcription questions

How long does a court reporter have to keep their notes?

Transcribed notes must be kept for at least 3 years. Untranscribed notes must be kept for at least 10 years or as required by statute, whichever is longer.

What is the definition of a standard line as referenced in WAC 308-14-010 or WAC 308-14-135(3)?

"Standard line" is a line that can be determined by looking at a full line of text and counting from the first letter, including punctuation and spaces, to the last letter of that line. The standard line doesn't include a "Q" or "A," or the numbers on the left side of the page. There are no fewer than 54 and no more than 60 characters per standard line of text.

Charging fees

Do I have to offer my court reporting services and fees to all parties on equal terms?

Yes. All certified court reporters (CCR) must offer arrangements on a case concerning court reporter services or fees to all parties on equal terms except where differing standards are established by a court or governmental agency. See WAC 308-14-130 (1).

What are my obligations if a transcript is ordered on an expedited basis?

You must offer the same service and expedited fees to all parties on equal terms in addition to notifying all parties when transcripts are ordered.

Need additional help? Here's how to contact us:

call Phone: 360-664-6633
(TTY: Call 711)
mail Email:
Was this information helpful?