Get your license: Concealed pistol license

Learn how to get your concealed pistol license (CPL) and see what fees are required.

What to know

You will need to contact your local law enforcement agency (LEA) to apply for the license.

Law enforcement agencies run background checks and issue concealed pistol licenses. DOL is the record keeper for firearms information and this data is available to LEAs or correctional agencies only.

License requirements

You must be 21 years old to get a CPL. You are required to have a CPL if you:

  • Carry a pistol concealed on your person.
  • Have a loaded pistol in your vehicle.

You won’t qualify for a CPL if you:

  • Have a revoked concealed pistol license.
  • Are subject to a court order or injunction concerning the possession of firearms.
  • Are free on bond or personal recognizance while awaiting trial, appeal, or sentencing for a felony offense.
  • Have an outstanding warrant for your arrest for a felony or misdemeanor.
  • Were ordered to forfeit a firearm within the last 12 months.
  • Were convicted of a felony. To restore your rights, contact the courts where your conviction is or the superior court where you live.

How to apply

  • Call or check the website of your local LEA and verify you live in their jurisdiction. If so, ask for a Concealed Pistol License Application.
  • You will need a valid state driver license or ID.
  • If you are a permanent resident alien, bring your permanent resident card.
  • If you have an alien firearms license, bring your original passport and US‑issued alien number or admission number.
  • If applicable, bring your original certificate of rehabilitation or firearms restoration orders.
  • Pay licensing fees with cash or check/money order payable to the law enforcement agency.
  • LEA will complete the fingerprints and a background check.

Your license is valid for 5 years from the date it is issued.

Where to apply

If you live Apply at
In an unincorporated area of a county in Washington Your county sheriff's office
In an incorporated city or town in Washington Your city/town police department or your county sheriff’s office
Outside of Washington (not a Washington state resident) Any local law enforcement agency (police department or sheriff’s office) in Washington State

If your license is lost, denied, or revoked

Call or visit the website of your LEA where you applied for your license. They will instruct you on where to go, what to bring, and the fees to get a replacement license.

Related information

Related laws:

Related resources:

Need additional help? Here's how to contact us:

call Phone: 360-664-6616
(TTY: Call 711)
fax Fax: 360-570-4945
mail Email:
location_on Address:
Firearms Section Department of Licensing
PO Box 9649
Olympia , WA 98507
Was this information helpful?