Get your license: Bail bond agency/branch office

Learn the requirements and how to apply for a bail bond agency or branch office license to offer bail bond services.

Get your license faster! Apply and pay online.

Who needs a license?

Anyone who offers bail bond services.

How to apply

Follow the steps below to get your bail bond agency license.

1. Meet the requirements

All company owners, partners, or agents must:

  • Be at least 18 years old
  • Be a U.S. citizen or resident alien
  • Have no convictions in the past ten years that directly relate to your ability to perform your duties or hinder public safety
  • Have a physical business location in Washington State
  • Have a valid business license with the Department of Revenue

If your agency is a corporation you must have:

  • A copy of the articles of incorporation
  • A list of officers and their departments and addresses

2. Gather the necessary documents

  • Copies of your $10,000 surety bond
  • Written certifications from previous employers if applying using experience
    • If you don't provide certifications, we will schedule you for an exam within 3 weeks after we've received your application payment

If you write property bonds:

  • Court names that have given approval for the placing of property bonds

If you write surety bail bonds:

  • The name and address of the surety
  • The attorney in fact
  • The name that the build-up fund is in

3. Submit your application

Choose the method that works best for you.

Submit your application online

Create your SAW account or log in to apply, upload your documents, and pay your application fee online.

Submit your application by mail

Complete a Bail Bond Agency/Branch Office License Application form. This form is only available in English.

Mail your application, required documents, and a check or money order (payable to the Department of Licensing) for the application fee:

Bail Bond Program
Department of Licensing
PO Box 35001
Seattle, WA 98124-3401

Get email updates

Subscribe to our bail bonds email list to get the latest information about bail bonds and licensing.

For veterans, military personnel, and partners

Your military experience or training might help you meet licensing requirements. You may also be able to get a temporary license if you're moving here with a current license from another state. Learn more about using your military training to meet professional license requirements.

If you're a U.S. veteran, you may be eligible for partial reimbursement of your fees. Learn more about getting reimbursed for fees.

Need additional help? Here's how to contact us:

call Phone: 360-664-6611
(TTY: Call 711)
mail Email:
Was this information helpful?