Get your license: Auctioneer

You need an auctioneer license to call bids at an auction. You'll also need a license if you're a sole proprietorship who calls bids and arranges auctions. The sales of the auctions can't exceed $25,00. Learn what the requirements are and how to apply.

How to apply

Follow the steps below to apply for an auctioneer license.

1. Meet the requirements

Meet all the auctioneer certificate of registration requirements.

2. Gather the necessary information

You will need all the following to apply for your auctioneer license.

A Unified Business Identification (UBI).

Apply for a business license with the Department of Revenue (DOR) to get a UBI.

A surety bond

You will need a surety bond. We base the amount you need on the gross value of the goods you sell in Washington State:

  • For existing companies your gross sales during the previous calendar year
  • For new companies an estimate of your gross sales during the current year
Gross sales Surety Bond
$0-$24,999.99 $5,000
$25,000-$49,999.99 $10,000
$50,000-$99,999.99 $15,000
$100,000-$499,999.99 $20,000
$500,000 or more $25,000

3. Submit your application

Choose the method that works best for you.

Submit your application online

Create your SAW account or log in to apply and pay your application fees online.

Submit your application by mail

Complete an Auctioneer Registration Application form. This form is only available in English.

If you are an auction company, you must sign this form in the presence of a notary public.

Mail the following items to us at the address below:

  • Your completed application form
  • All required documents
  • A check or money order (payable to Department of Licensing) for the application fee

Auctioneer Program
Department of Licensing
PO Box 3856
Seattle, WA 98124-3856

For veterans, military personnel, and partners

Your military experience or training might help you meet licensing requirements. You may also be able to get a temporary license if you're moving here with a current license from another state. Learn more about using your military training to meet professional license requirements.

If you're a U.S. veteran, you may be eligible for partial reimbursement of your fees. Learn more about getting reimbursed for fees.

Need additional help? Here's how to contact us:

call Phone: 360-664-6636
(TTY: Call 711)
mail Email:
Was this information helpful?