Moving to Washington: Vehicle registration and plates

Whether you recently moved to Washington or are moving soon, you'll need to register your out-of-state vehicle and get new plates.

1. Gather the information you need

Bring your current title to any vehicle licensing office for assistance. Remember to write down the mileage from your odometer before you go into the office.

  • To complete the transaction by mail, call a vehicle licensing office. They'll help you get the necessary forms and inform you of any fees.
  • If the bank currently holds your title, call a vehicle licensing office to get their fax number. Your bank will need it to fax them a copy of the title.
  • Not all offices accept debit or credit. Contact a vehicle licensing office to check what types of payment they accept.

2. Get your license plates

If you go to an office, you'll get them right away. If you submit your application by mail, it may take up to 3 weeks from the date we get your application.

You may also want to find out about:

3. Set up a License eXpress account

Once you've registered your vehicle(s), you can add them to your License eXpress account. With License eXpress, you can manage all your vehicles:

  • See when your vehicle's tabs are due.
  • Make sure your address is up-to-date.
  • Sign up or update email renewal notices and more.

Login or create a License eXpress account

4. Open a Good To Go! account

If you travel the routes listed below and need to pay tolls, you may also want to register for a Good to Go! account:

Need additional help? Here's how to contact us:

call Phone: 360-902-3900
(TTY: Call 711)
Was this information helpful?