Moving to Washington: Vehicle registration and plates

Whether you recently moved to Washington or are moving soon, you'll need to register your out-of-state vehicle and get new plates.

1. Gather the information you need

Vehicle Title Application form

If you're coming into an office, we will complete the form for you in person. If you're mailing the form, you'll need to complete the form and sign it in front of a notary public.


Español (Spanish)

Русский (Russian)

Việt (Vietnamese)

Certificate of Title of your vehicle

  • If you are currently making payments on your vehicle, have your lending institution fax a copy of your title to a vehicle licensing office Once it's paid off, you can apply for a WA title.
  • If you don't have the title, contact our office
  • Payment for the fees — call a vehicle licensing office to find out what your fees will be

Report odometer miles

Depending on the type of vehicle, the model, and the year it was made, you may need to fill out an Odometer Disclosure Statement on your title. You need to fill out this section on your title if your vehicle's model year is 2011 or newer. If you do not have the vehicle's title, you can get an odometer disclosure form at your local vehicle licensing office.

2. Get your license plates

If you go to an office, you'll get them right away. If you mail it in, it may take up to three weeks from the date we get your application.

You may also want to find out about:

3. Set up a License eXpress account

Once you've registered your vehicle(s), you can add them to your License eXpress account. With License eXpress, you can manage all your vehicles:

  • See when your vehicle's tabs are due
  • Make sure your address is up-to-date
  • Sign up or update email renewal notices and more

Learn more about License eXpress

4. Open a Good To Go! account

If you travel these routes and need to pay tolls you may also want to register for a Department of Transportation Good to Go! account:

Need additional help? Here's how to contact us.

call Phone: 360-902-3900
(TTY: Call 711)
Was this information helpful?